News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI202 Can I set up PH1 and PH2 to emulate a Phone Jack Line Splitter

Started by EdinForum, October 20, 2016, 12:02:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdinForum

Basically, I'm asking if I can PH2 to mirror PH1 so I can avoid adding a physical line splitter, and still connect two devices to OBI202

SteveInWA

??? ??? ??? ???

The OBi 202 has two telephone jacks on the back, Phone 1 and Phone 2.

Phone 1 is a two-line (RJ-14) jack.  The center two gold pins are for line 1, and the outer two gold pins are for line 2.

Phone 2 is a one-line (RJ-11) jack.  The center two gold pins are for line 2.

You don't need any splitters.  If you want to use two different one-line phones, one for each of the two lines, then plug one phone into Phone 1 and plug the other phone into Phone 2.  If you have a two-line telephone, then use a four-conductor/four pin telephone cord and plug it into the Phone 1 jack.

restamp

Actually, I don't think it is possible to set up PH2 to completely "mirror" PH1 like an external line splitter widget would do, although you can come close -- such as having both lines ring simultaneously on an incoming call -- in software.  But to have a true "extension phone", you'd either have to use an external splitter or, to employ Steve's approach, plug one phone into PH2 and a two-line-capable phone into PH1 and use the 2nd line on it, and then configure the OBi to use PH2 where it normally would use PH1.

Personally, on my OBi202, I have a 3-way device I got at Radio Shack some years ago.  It consists of an RJ-14 plug and three jacks:  Line 1, Line 2, and Line 1+2.  Using this device in the OBi's Phone 1 jack plus the OBi's Phone 2, I can then connect a second phone to either of the OBi's Phone ports.

That said however, by it's very nature VoIP technology lends itself more to an office configuration where each phone is its own extension with the capability of being used independently to place and take calls, rather than the traditional home layout where every phone is an extension phone to a single line.

azrobert

You can emulate what you want by dialing "#". This gives you 2 separate lines plus you can connect (barge-in) to the other line. The following is from the Admin Guide.

PHONE 1/2 Collaborative Features (OBi202 and OBi302 Only)
While PHONE 1 and PHONE 2 can function independently of each other, the OBi202 and OBi302 also offer some collaborative features to let the two phone ports work together as a mini phone system.
With the factory default digit map and call routing rules, you can dial a single "#" (pound/hash) digit to call from one phone port to ring the other phone port. Depending on the current state of the called phone, one of the following can happen:
1. If the called phone is idle (on-hook), it will ring normally with a special Caller-ID that indicates the call is from the other PHONE Port.
2. If the called phone is already on a call, the calling phone will barge in to join the call.
3. If the called phone is on-hook with a call on-hold, the calling phone will pick up and resume that call.
4. If the called phone is ringing, the calling phone will pick up and answer that call.
5. For all other scenarios, the calling phone will hear busy tone.

I have the equipment to make a special cable that would make phone port1 into line2 only.  Now both ports would be line2. For a challenge I just made a cable like this and could send it to you, but you would have to convince me why the above wouldn't work or why you can't use a 1 to 2 port adapter.