News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

New install works great, few hurdles: Open DNS , Legacy Voice, Tmobile

Started by taperAKG, February 18, 2017, 04:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taperAKG

It's all set up and I'm very happy today.
I'm just posting in the forum to put in what I did and how it went.
Tuesday I ported my house landline to T-Mobile as outlined here:
http://www.obihai.com/porttutorial
I used that tutorial as a reference the whole way.
T-mobile SIM card was $7 on amazon.
T-mobile required minutes for the pay as you go phone, $10 minimum.
The SIM card was active and working by Wednesday.
You need an unlocked cell phone , then, to port your number to google voice as google voice calls that number you're trying to port to google voice and expects a confirmation code to be typed in on the live line while your doing stuff in google voice on your computer. $20 for that. Make sure to do this through Google Voice Legacy from the settings of the new Google voice UI.
Worked great. Google voice had a hold of my ported number within 24 hours.
Friday night I set up the Obi account, added the google voice account and after it authenticated it was taking a long time to connect to the IP address.
I set my router to pick the DNS server automatically rather than my DNS server numbers for Open DNS. It connected instantly, then.
The phone tested out great, I called out, called in. All's good.
I reset the DNS servers back to open DNS and the phone is still fine in and outgoing.
House-wise, I found the mainline feeding my phone box for all the phones in my house (no wireless; 4 corded phones and a fax machine) and connected that wire to a newly purchase phone connection box to which I plugged in my ObiHai200 into that. All the phone lines are connected and working, no outside service lines are attached to that circuit at all.
I'm a happy Obi user now.
All in all, $30'ish for the ObiHai200 , $17 for T-Mobile, $20 for google, $8 for misc phone line stuff.
All set,  ;D
Thanks to this forum and it's info.
AZ

taperAKG

Open DNS giving fits now. I'm going to play around with it and report back.
It definitely cut phone service when it updated the DNS server.
AZ

drgeoff

Quote from: taperAKG on February 21, 2017, 01:19:02 PM
AZ
Stop wasting your time trying to get OpenDNS to work.  Read https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/GV-and-the-OBi/Using-openDNS-GV-Status-BackingOff

taperAKG

Quote from: drgeoff on February 21, 2017, 01:33:53 PM
Quote from: taperAKG on February 21, 2017, 01:19:02 PM
AZ
Stop wasting your time trying to get OpenDNS to work.  Read https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/GV-and-the-OBi/Using-openDNS-GV-Status-BackingOff
Thanks for the link.
I unchecked chat from the filters in OpenDNS and it's been OK lately anyhow for three days.
If there's further fits, I'll try the DNS server in this info.
Thanks again, great product, great support info...
AZ