News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Phone keypad disabled in GV callback.

Started by helpful55, March 11, 2017, 02:28:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

helpful55

It doesn't seem like I am the first one on this. I have always used the GV callback feature. Easier to type on my pc keyboard than on a cordless phone pad and also rather than wear out my phone. Ever since somebody decided to fix something that didn't need fixing, with the "new" GV my phone keypad is disabled after taking a callback when it used to work. So this has made this feature useless for many of my calls for example when I have to select 1 or 2 or input an acct # etc. My phone keypad does work ok to make calls so it is not that. I did try using a phone tone generator holding the phone up to the speaker and that does nothing. So apparently the tone has to be generated within the phone itself not externally. Does anyone know about this or know what to do?  

drgeoff

Try changing the DTMFMethod setting in the menu shown in the screenshot below.  You need to use the Expert mode on the portal.  I've shown Service Provider A which is probably the one you are using if you have only GV on your OBi.  You need to clear both boxes at the right hand end of the line before you try to get the drop down box to work.  "Inband" is most likely to work.  Click the "Submit" button when done to save the setting and wait for your Obi to reboot.

(Ignore that the screenshot shows 'SIP' for the Signalling Protocol.  Yours will show 'GoogleVoice'.)

helpful55

I tried each of the three other options there were and none would fix it. I made sure to let the obi save the changes each time. I can go through them all again if you want me to to make sure.

I am almost positive the point where this went bad was when GV went to their new page setup. For some reason they do not have the callback feature unless you click to get back to legacy GV and use that. I wouldn't doubt they will kill that option at some point. So unless they add the callback feature to the new GV and it does not kill the keypad I may be out of luck anyway. I just don't understand the things people do sometimes (many times, and may be purposely done). I am trying to get help or an answer from GV, but that is usually is not very likely. I can try another phone to see but I bet it will be the same deal. GV must be killing the connection other than the voice connection. Thanks for any ideas drgeoff.

drgeoff

TBH I don't know what you mean by 'GV callback'. The click to call facility was removed ages ago, long before the recent change.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=12489.0

Taoman

Quote from: drgeoff on March 12, 2017, 01:00:31 AM
TBH I don't know what you mean by 'GV callback'. The click to call facility was removed ages ago, long before the recent change.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=12489.0

Actually, "click to call" was never removed. They merely replaced the option to do a callback to Chat with a callback to Hangouts. Even though it doesn't appear in the new GV web gui it still works as it always has. I just tested it multiple times with multiple lines and it worked perfectly for me including DTMF.

In fact, a new Android app was just released specifically for the Google Voice callback capability. It's called GVoice Callback. Seems to work as advertised.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=zone.bai.gvoicecallback

SteveInWA

Quote from: Taoman on March 12, 2017, 08:02:01 AM

Actually, "click to call" was never removed. They merely replaced the option to do a callback to Chat with a callback to Hangouts. Even though it doesn't appear in the new GV web gui it still works as it always has. I just tested it multiple times with multiple lines and it worked perfectly for me including DTMF.

To be clear, yes, the overall "click to call" function remains (but it is now only available in the Google Voice "Legacy" UI).  What was removed long ago, was using Google Chat as a "call-with" target.  As I've explained in other discussions, you can still use a regular, 10-digit telephone number as a call-with target, as well as Hangouts.  OBi users complained about this because it removed the ability to have GV call their OBi via Chat, and some users refuse to accept the alternative:  use a DID number.

In fact, a new Android app was just released specifically for the Google Voice callback capability. It's called GVoice Callback. Seems to work as advertised.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=zone.bai.gvoicecallback

That app (which is not authored by Google) doesn't help.  It is still dependent on using a ten-digit forwarding telephone number.

dircom

SteveInWA,

On my desktop I see a call button in "Legacy Google Voice"
I also see a call button in "The new Google Voice"

Taoman

Quote from: dircom on March 19, 2017, 09:17:13 AM
SteveInWA,

I also see a call button in "The new Google Voice"

Doesn't it actually say "Make a call?" Try to "make a call" to a number not in your Contacts and see how far you get.

Correction: As SteveInWa has pointed out, you can indeed make a call to an unknown number from the new GV web interface.

SteveInWA

The "Make a call" button was added to the new Google Voice web UI last week, along with an updated release of the Android app to include the same function.  This was in response to user feedback, complaining about its absence.  The "Make a call" button performs the same function as the red and white CALL button on the old, "Legacy" UI.  As before, it requires that the user select one of their verified forwarding (or "linked" in the new UI) 10-digit telephone numbers, or Hangouts, to use as the target for the call.  As with the old UI, it does not support Chat.

Yes, you can call any number, not just numbers in your Google Contacts.

Taoman

Quote from: SteveInWA on March 19, 2017, 03:06:24 PM

Yes, you can call any number, not just numbers in your Google Contacts.

Indeed you can. Thanks for pointing that out.