News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice ringing too many phones

Started by rggg, March 25, 2017, 11:59:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rggg

Well, I finally got my OBi200 set up and running with GV, but was surprised to find that when I dial my GV number from my cell phone, it also rings my other landline, which is on Comcast.  Then I recalled this is one of the features GV offers.  But when I tried to make a 2-way audio communication, I found that there was none...!  So GV can ring my Comcast phone, but apparently cannot put the audio on it...?  Not such a good feature... Is something broken....?  Actually I don't know how GV can ring my Comcast number, because I don't recall ever giving it to Google.  But I suppose Google knows ALL...!

This is only a temporary situation for me, as I plan to drop Comcast eventually, after I get some other things resolved.  (Getting my computer to stream TV across two rooms to my big screen via WiFi is one of them -- likely to take some time.)

In the meantime, wifey is gettting annoyed picking up the phone that rings but can't talk, so I'm wondering if anyone here can advise me how to turn off GV's "ring all my phones" feature, if that's possible.

Thanks,
Gerry.

Taoman

LTN1

OP may need to go to Settings/Groups & Circles (https://www.google.com/voice/b/0#groups) and uncheck the Comcast number from each of the groups and circles also.

rggg

Well, nice try....   I unchecked and deleted my Comcast number.  And no more rings on the Comcast phones when I dial the GV number from my cell phone.  Unfortunately, the GV phones now do NOT ring either.  (They DO pass the OBi Echo test...)

I did see a Google page that looked like a call history listing, and it did show my cell number there at the correct time.

Any further suggestions...?  I am totally lost in this GV software circus...

Thanks,
Gerry

LTN1

No one here told you to delete your Comcast number. We just told you to uncheck it...even in the Groups and Circles.

SteveInWA may clarify this further...but I wonder if a new GV account (after January) needs to have the original forwarding number to function properly?

SteveInWA

Quote from: LTN1 on March 26, 2017, 07:54:50 PM
No one here told you to delete your Comcast number. We just told you to uncheck it...even in the Groups and Circles.

SteveInWA may clarify this further...but I wonder if a new GV account (after January) needs to have the original forwarding number to function properly?

I saw this discussion, but I can't make any sense out of what the OP is trying to do.  It sounds like s/he doesn't understand how Google Voice works, and has likely set up their account incorrectly.

rggg

Thanks to all for your help...!   GV now just rings the GV phones, and apparently deleting the Comcast number while I was in there caused no problems.  You are right Steve, I don't know how a whole lot of Google works....!  GV has a whole bunch of fancy features I don't even want to learn how to use, let alone how they work.  Just looking for a low-cost telephone line across US and Canada.

Now my OBI200 appears to work just fine with GV, as  long as I don't power my desktop computer up or down while a phone call is underway.  Seems my Modem/router (Netgear D2200D supplied free by Frontier) cannot keep its active ports running when one of them shuts down, or even if an unused port suddenly connects.  It apparently has to shut all down for 2-3 minutes and reboot.  When this occurs, the OBI drops one side of the call and doesn't recover.

When I discovered this, I remembered I had an old Westell unit also from Frontier maybe 10 years ago and found it had none of this problem.  Each port continued operating regardless of activity on other ports.  Unfortunately I can't use it because it doesn't do WiFi.  Looks like I'm gonna have to sit on hold on the Frontier service line long enough to find out if the new one is broken, or maybe I need a different model.