News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Actiontec solution for one-way voice

Started by Rich-NYC, March 27, 2017, 08:40:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich-NYC

Yesterday, I finally installed an OBI200 I bought a while back.  After a lot of trial and error, I got it working and recognized by my existing Localphone service.  The one remaining problem was one-way audio (in particular, no incoming audio), whatever I tried.  All OBI documentation, here and from OBI, suggests this is usually a problem with SIP ALG.  Unfortunately, this Actiontec router (model GT784WN) has no setting for ALG, so I emailed Actiontec.  They replied with confirmation that the router has no ALG setting, but suggested that I use the DMZ settings to place the OBI device outside the NAT "firewall".  That worked... I now have all expected functionality (so far) through the OBI200 with my VOIP service.  This would not be an acceptable solution for a computer, but I can't imagine what mischief a hacker could create with my OBI200 just by being able to see it on my DSL-WAN connection.  Can anyone come up with a reason that I shouldn't keep the DMZ setting as a long-term solution? ???

hwittenb

Quote from: Rich-NYC on March 27, 2017, 08:40:48 AM
but suggested that I use the DMZ settings to place the OBI device outside the NAT "firewall".  That worked... I now have all expected functionality (so far) through the OBI200 with my VOIP service. 
If the DMZ fixed your problem, have you tried just forwarding the ports used by the OBi?  It uses the SPx User Agent port, the RTP port range [See default for ITSP Profile Used] and if you configured a STUN server the STUN server port (3478).

kms_obi200

i am using actiontec MG424 rev 1 router, i enabled SIP ALG there is another MGCP ALG...do i need to enable this too?