News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Port forward for 2nd ObiTalk device for single public IP address?

Started by Logan, April 07, 2017, 11:34:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logan

Per the OBiTalk FAQ, it tells us to forward incoming port UDP 10000 to our OBiTalk devices. Also, per the FAQ it mentions we can add multiple OBiTalk devices behind one firewall, which I'll assume means we can add multiple OBiTalk devices per one IP address. That being said, it doesn't mention what incoming port to forward to the second OBiTalk device. Additional info: my firewall has all outgoing ports as open, so no need to worry about those??

Question: What incoming UDP port do I forward to my second OBiTalk device since UDP 10000 isn't an option?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Taoman

Quote from: Logan on April 07, 2017, 11:34:40 AM
Per the OBiTalk FAQ, it tells us to forward incoming port UDP 10000 to our OBiTalk devices.

Really? Could you provide a link for that?

Regarding OBihai FAQ: an "open" port ≠ a port "forward"

OBihai is referring to your firewall. They are saying if any of those ports are blocked then you need to "open" them manually on your firewall. That is not the same as configuring a port forward on your router to a specific ip address (or addresses) on your internal network.

Generally speaking, opening a port refers to your firewall while a port forward refers to your NAT.
Unless you are doing something out of the ordinary or have a specific router/firewall issue port forwarding should not be necessary. Chances are high that UDP port 10000 is already open and the service protocol is hidden. You can check here:
https://support.nightlydev.org/tcp-udp-port-scan

I have 3 Obi devices behind a single public IP address using a total of 8 different providers. I am not doing any port forwarding of any kind. Works great.

drgeoff

I confirm that I've had no problems with operating more than one OBi device on a LAN behind an ISP supplied VDSL modem-router.  No port forwarding applied.

Logan

This was the link I was referring to and you're correct, it said to open the port, not to forward it: https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/Troubleshooting-sec/ports-to-keep-open-on-my-router

I've since removed my NAT that forwards the port and also removed the rule that opened the port and yet, with your link, it's still showing up as open. Sounds like all my problems have been solved. Thank you for the help. Will work on setting up the new device now. Thanks again.

Logan

One last question.. how many ObiTalk devices can I have behind one IP address?

drgeoff

Quote from: Logan on April 10, 2017, 09:42:16 AM
One last question.. how many ObiTalk devices can I have behind one IP address?
No hard limit.

Usual issue is the number of calls you can have simultaneously is limited by the bit-rate of your internet connection.  Each one needs about 100 kbit/s in each direction.

How many OBis are you thinking of having?

Logan

10-15 devices. I have a 100mbit/100mbit connection, so I guess I'm good to go. Thanks again for all of the help.