News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can I swap new (landline) GV # w/my old (now 2ndary) GV #

Started by MaxChampagne, July 17, 2017, 05:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaxChampagne

I've ported my landline number (a 201-963-xxxx #) to my pre-existing Google Voice account (a 201-972-xxxx #), replacing the old 201-972-xxxx GV # with the landline #. 

The old 972 # is kept by Google for 90 days as a "secondary" GV #, with the option of paying $20 to Google to keep that number permanently.

What I'd like to do, but am not sure how to do, is get rid of my original landline number (the 201-963-xxxx), and have my pre-existing GV # (the 201-972-xxxx) be my only GV #, and have that be my landline # for the home phone I use with an OBi202.

So that the only #s I have would be the 201-972-xxxx # and my cellphone # that I have GV forward calls to.

Can this swapping of the newly ported landline # with the old GV # be done?  If it can, how might I go about this? 

Thanks in advance.

SteveInWA

I don't understand.  Why did you port your 201-963 number into Google Voice, if you want to get rid of it?  That just makes no sense.  Why didn't you instead just cancel service with your landline provider?

It's a moot point now.  If you want to use only the 201-972 number, you need to pay the $20 fee to make it permanent.  Once you do that, you will see a setting to flip-flop the primary vs. secondary number role of those two numbers.  You can change primary/secondary for free, at any time, by clicking a link in Google Voice Settings.  Both numbers will remain active as inbound numbers, regardless of which one is primary.  Changing primary vs. secondary will only determine which caller ID to send on outbound calls.  Inbound calls to either GV number will ring the OBi and your cellphone, and will hear the same GV voicemail greeting.

MaxChampagne

Indeed, makes no sense -- except in the sense that it was only after porting 963 over to GV that I realized I wanted 972 to be my primary number.

I mean, when you first do this porting, you don't know exactly how every aspect of it works, and that was part of it as well. I discover what I want and need as I go along.

But from what you're saying it sounds as though the problem can be solved simply by making the old GV # permanent, then toggling the two #s for the primary to be what I want, so I'll go ahead & do that, thanks for the info.