News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Multiple extensions on one call (like POTS)? Possibly FreePBX?

Started by kayrjay, August 23, 2017, 02:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveInWA

Quote from: drgeoff on August 31, 2017, 02:59:38 PM
3 party calls can already be easily done with all OBi ATAs and OBi phones. No additional services or subscriptions are necessary.

Well, duh.  My point was, if the OP needs multiple extensions that, for some reason need to be on a conference call, a cloud-based provider has those features.

kayrjay

I'm not talking about a conference call or three way call.  If we are in different locations and all phones ring at the same time (I've set up simultaneous ringing), when the phones ring I want either/both people to be able to pick up the call. Neither of us would know if the other party is home, wants to answer the call or already has answered.  It is way too inconvenient for me to call the wife in the other location to ask if she wants to participate in a three way call.  At the moment this simply does not appear possible (not unless I use a PBX, perhaps).

I appreciate your patience and info.  I don't think an"warm transfer" would work for the above reasons.

I will look into DialPad.  Thanks for the pointer.  

I'm not stupid by the way.  I've been a techie in software for many years.   Read a lot about VOIP but do find the terminology confusing.  Obviously the word "extension" means different things in the VOIP world than in the analog world.   Never expected that a VOIP provider would not be able to provide what I believe is called shared line appearance or allow two extensions using the same service to join the same call.  It seems this is just a SMOP  .. small matter of programming.  From my limited experience this should not require a PBX, but only a way to bridge between two active calls using the same VOIP provider and account (whether they are on the same or different LANs).   Doesn't seem to me this is a stupid idea that is impossible to implement.

SteveInWA

Quote from: drgeoff on August 31, 2017, 12:24:24 AM
Quote from: kayrjay on August 30, 2017, 08:24:37 PM
I can't seem to find the OBi line adapter anywhere. One site I found https://www.voipsupply.com/obihai-obiline says that the OBi line adapter been discontinued and that the replacement
is an OBi212. However, I can't find the 212 anywhere either.   And, I don't
know if the OBi212 will Do what the line adapter would do as described here.

Any help would be appreciated!
There has been neither an official announcement by Obihai nor any rumours of the discontinuation of OBiLINE or the introduction of a new OBi212 ATA.  However https://www.voipsupply.com/obihai-obi212-1-fxs-1-fxo-adapter shows a shipping date in October this year and the specs indicate that it has one FXS port and one FXO port, ie it is the replacement for the End-of-Lifed Obi110.  More at https://fccid.io/2ADXF-OBI212.

Oops, voipsupply leaked the 212.  It'll be for sale on Amazon any day now, and yes, no more OBiLINE dongles.  Obihai will do the product launch in a couple of weeks (product info on the website, etc.)  The Amazon ASIN will be B075839DD6, if you'd like to search for it there.