News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Adapters at different locations

Started by frunobulax, September 06, 2017, 05:28:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frunobulax

Looking at having an OBI200 at two locations, with only one active at a time.  Is it easy to toggle between the two?  I.e., disable one and enable the other.  I currently use Vonage and use their "Move a line" to do this.  Thanks.

drgeoff

Not sure what exactly you are asking.

Have them both configured the same but only power up whichever one you want to use.

Have them both configured the same, registered on the Obitalk portal and powered up simultaneously. Log into the portal from a browser just about anywhere in the world and enable/disable as required.

Have them both configured the same and powered up simultaneously. Most ITSPs support more than one device SIP registered to the same account. Both devices ring on incoming calls; answer on either. Either device can make a call.

frunobulax

I probably should have mentioned that I'm using GV, not a SIP provider.  Does that change anything?

Would prefer not to rely on unplugging adapters.  They are plugged into the same strip the powers modem/router, which I do want to leave on for guests.  Not to mention that I'll just forget to do it.

When you say enable/disable, where/how is that done - in the OBi dashboard?

Tx.

drgeoff

Quote from: frunobulax on September 06, 2017, 09:31:45 AM
I probably should have mentioned that I'm using GV, not a SIP provider.  Does that change anything?

Would prefer not to rely on unplugging adapters.  They are plugged into the same strip the powers modem/router, which I do want to leave on for guests.  Not to mention that I'll just forget to do it.

When you say enable/disable, where/how is that done - in the OBi dashboard?

Tx.
I'm only 90% sure that GV would work with two adaptors and I'm not currently in a position to test it at the drop of a hat.

Yes, via the dashboard, possibly using the Expert mode.

frunobulax

If you or anyone knows where this setting is, I would appreciate it.  Looked at expert settings - no idea what most of it means.

I suppose the worst case is I remove/re-add/configure adapters whenever I move...

drgeoff

Voice services, then click on the relevant SP. Probably SP1 if GV is the only service. Then the top item in the main body of the page is 'Enable'. Tick or clear the box. You need to clear both boxes at the right hand side of the line before you can change the setting.

azrobert

You can also use the attached phone to disable/enable a trunk. The instructions for SP1 start at the bottom of page 32 of the Admin Guide. Set it to default to re-enable, it's 1 step faster than enabling.

http://www.obihai.com/docs/OBiDeviceAdminGuide.pdf

frunobulax

drgeoff - yes that works, just the thing I was looking for!

azrobert - interesting, I'll give it a try.  Note that I'll likely be making this switch from the new location; the old adapter is usually powered off at that point.

Thanks.

azrobert

You can enter the whole string of commands without waiting for the prompts. I tested this on an OBi200. I'm not sure this will work on an OBi1xx. If your phone has a phonebook, you can save the commands there.

Disable SP1:
***0100#10#1

Enable SP1:
***0100#21

SteveInWA

You do not need to do anything at all to make this work.  No commands are necessary.

OBi 2xx ATAs and all OBi IP phones support multiple, simultaneous connections to the Google Chat/XMPP service.  There's no harm in leaving both adapters up and running all the time; the attached phones will behave the same way in both locations.

frunobulax

Thanks, good to know both will work at once, could be useful occasionally.  Mainly wanted to be sure I can disable one if both are on - don't want guests taking work calls.