News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

4 or more Obi200 with 1 Google Voice account?

Started by huetwallet, September 07, 2017, 11:06:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

huetwallet

First, thanks to those who helped me set up my Obi200+Obiwifi with GV. :)

The Obihai+Obiwifi works very well. So, I would like to use Obihai at different locations of a large warehouse. Let say a minimum of 4 Obi200+ObiWifi+phone. I don't need use them for regular calls, but plan to use it as emergency phones.

I have read this post: https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=11143.0 where the last entry to the post stated that we can add as many Obihai 2xx devices using one Google Voice account. While I was searching about this topic, Obihai tech support reply my email saying GV can only support two Obihai devices. While this Obihai blogpost say "multiple" devices with one google voice account: http://blog.obihai.com/2014/09/ring-multiple-obi-devices-configured.html

So, can anyone tell me how many Obihai devices (Obi200s or others, if need be) can I use with a Single GV account?

Also, let say I can use 4 Obihai devices with one single GV account, and if I sign up for Anveo services, do I need to sign up 4 Anveo services or just the one with my GV account is all I need?

Other minor questions (if using 4 Obihai devices with 1 GV account is possible):
- Can each Obihai call each other?
- If someone call this GV number, all 4 phones will ring?
- If someone answer one phone, can other listen to the conversation if they pick up a 2nd phone?

Thanks in advance!

drgeoff

Quote from: huetwallet on September 07, 2017, 11:06:08 AM

Other minor questions (if using 4 Obihai devices with 1 GV account is possible):
- If someone answer one phone, can other listen to the conversation if they pick up a 2nd phone?
Yes. Each Obi has a 9 digit Obitalk number. Obitalk is effectively a ready to use Service Provider. Can only reach other OBitalk numbers. Totally separate from GV, Anveo etc. Out of the box OBis can call other OBis by dialling **9 followed by 9 digit number. You can set up speed dials to call with shorter codes.

Yes, all phones (2 or 4) will ring. First to answer takes the call. It is NOT possible for another OBi to join simply by lifting the handset.

huetwallet

Quote from: drgeoff on September 07, 2017, 12:28:52 PM

Yes. Each Obi has a 9 digit Obitalk number. Obitalk is effectively a ready to use Service Provider. Can only reach other OBitalk numbers. Totally separate from GV, Anveo etc. Out of the box OBis can call other OBis by dialling **9 followed by 9 digit number. You can set up speed dials to call with shorter codes.

Yes, all phones (2 or 4) will ring. First to answer takes the call. It is NOT possible for another OBi to join simply by lifting the handset.

Thanks for the reply! :)

Oh well... after looking into this problem more, I figured I could use one of the Obihai recommended phones that comes with multiple handsets since I need all the phones in the same location! lol, this might be a easier solution for my deployment need! for example the Panasonic Link2Cell KX-TG7875S phones!
http://www.obihai.com/recommended

This is what happens when you grow up with wireless cellphones and forgot about such things exist! :D

drgeoff

Quote from: huetwallet on September 07, 2017, 01:33:40 PM
Quote from: drgeoff on September 07, 2017, 12:28:52 PM

Thanks for the reply! :)

Oh well... after looking into this problem more, I figured I could use one of the Obihai recommended phones that comes with multiple handsets since I need all the phones in the same location! lol, this might be a easier solution for my deployment need! for example the Panasonic Link2Cell KX-TG7875S phones!
http://www.obihai.com/recommended

This is what happens when you grow up with wireless cellphones and forgot about such things exist! :D
That Panasonic has the capability to link via Bluetooth to cellphones.  Do you need that and how much extra is it costing?

(We assume that using a different phone showed that the OBi was not DOA.)

SteveInWA

By the way, it's important to understand:  Google Voice is neither designed nor supported for business use.  There is no customer support, and no service level guarantee.  Certain usage patterns will trigger Google Voice's automated robocalling/spam texting/abuse prevention algorithms, and your account could be suspended temporarily or permanently, with little to no recourse (you could permanently lose your number).  So:  if your reason for needing "4 or more" phones connected to that Google Voice account is for making lots of calls per minute/hour, then your account might be at risk.

If your use case is for telemarketing, fund-raising, call center, or similar purposes, don't use Google Voice; use an appropriate SIP VoIP service, instead.

huetwallet

Quote from: SteveInWA on September 07, 2017, 03:39:50 PM
By the way, it's important to understand:  Google Voice is neither designed nor supported for business use.  There is no customer support, and no service level guarantee.  Certain usage patterns will trigger Google Voice's automated robocalling/spam texting/abuse prevention algorithms, and your account could be suspended temporarily or permanently, with little to no recourse (you could permanently lose your number).  So:  if your reason for needing "4 or more" phones connected to that Google Voice account is for making lots of calls per minute/hour, then your account might be at risk.

If your use case is for telemarketing, fund-raising, call center, or similar purposes, don't use Google Voice; use an appropriate SIP VoIP service, instead.

Thanks for the heads up. No, it is mainly for making lots of calls (we have vonage for that), and it's a number that will not use publicly. It will be mainly use for making emergency call in several locations of large warehouse (so the intercom ability of the Panasonic phone is a great feature for us), if needed.

After seeing what Obihai+GV can do. I am also thinking of unsubscribe to vonage and use Obihai business solution: https://www.obitalk.com/info/business

but will have more to look into obviously.  ;D