News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Other person can't hear me.

Started by mjsobi, August 09, 2011, 10:31:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stewart

Quote from: bbarker on October 15, 2011, 09:54:28 PMI've noticed it often happens on my first call of the day.
I don't know what to make of this, but try making your first call each day with a different provider.  If it still fails, we'll know that it's almost certainly not provider related.  If you normally use GV and make the first call with e.g. Callcentric, you could pretend that the connection is not good (even though it's fine) and call back using GV to save most of the charges.

Alternatively, when you get up, make a test call.  One choice would be 1-909-390-0003 (an echo test), which would confirm that audio is working in both directions.  Perhaps better, call your own voice mail, which would test incoming audio and outbound DTMF (it's IMO unlikely that DTMF would work but not voice).

On a failing call, especially one with no incoming audio, it would be useful to see the OBi Call Status.  You need to view the page before disconnecting the call.

Quote from: bbarker on October 15, 2011, 09:54:28 PMI've tried the port forwarding as suggested and my net connection isn't busy when this happens.
Please provide details of your setup, even if you did that earlier -- a reader is more likely to help you if you don't make him read through 50+ posts.  For example: "My WRT54GL running Tomato has UDP ports 5060-5061 and 16600-16999 forwarded to the static private address of the OBi.  Router connects to Comcast via a SB5101 modem."

bbarker

Quote from: Stewart on October 16, 2011, 03:11:22 AMOne choice would be 1-909-390-0003 (an echo test)...
I just tried the echo test and it worked normally.  I'll keep trying it and get more info if it fails.  I've looked at the call log, but hadn't thought of checking the call status while connected.  BTW, one time I had a "failed" call that required DTMF and it didn't work even though I could clearly hear their prompts.

Quote from: Stewart on October 16, 2011, 03:11:22 AM
Please provide details of your setup, even if you did that earlier --
I have a 2Wire 2701HG-B combo DSL modem/router.  I have ports 5060-5061 and 16600-16998 (both UDP & TCP) forwarded to my Obi110.

Not sure if it matters, but last night I updated my firmware to 1.3.0 (Build: 2586).

Thanks for the help.

QBZappy

Quote from: bbarker on October 16, 2011, 09:52:32 AM
Not sure if it matters, but last night I updated my firmware to 1.3.0 (Build: 2586).

That certainly may change everything. Hopefully it will fix the problem, If not you will have to continue trouble shooting.

At this stage the OBinai techs must know most if not all the possible reasons for possible call failure since they must be looking into this. I would suggest that you email the OBi support. They may resolve this more quickly for you.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

subie

Been having this exact problem for a long long time as well.  Wife is also extremely fed up and I'm also at the point where I might have to start paying "the man" again for a land line.  But I am so against paying at&t that I am even looking into cell phone boosters like the zBoost so that at least we can use our cell phones in our house.

Just upgraded to the latest 2586 firmware.  I'm doubtful it fixes anything as the release notes only shows one thing it fixes which seems unrelated.

neilio

Quote from: Everton on October 11, 2011, 01:07:05 PM
It is interesting that the problem you are having is NOT one-way audio, but the fact that your audio decreases after about 2 to 3 minutes into a call. <snip> It is interesting that you identify a potential issue that could be giving rise to this issue.  See below (you are also using a specific brand of DDWRT-Milkfish, also you have tested without) the router

Actually, I've tried this using the default firmware for two different routers (ASUS RT-N16 and Netgear N600) as well as DD-WRT and TomatoUSB. Also, I've tried hooking the OBI directly to my cable modem so it gets the externally visible IP and still have the problem. I get both the 2-3 minute dropped audio issue as well as 1-way audio from the very beginning of the call.

I really wanted to make this work, but as you can see I've done a ton of troubleshooting with no solution. I gave up and went back to my 3102. I can appreciate this works for most people, but that's the way bugs go - they're not always reproducible by everyone.

Maybe I got a bad device, I don't know, but I didn't buy the OBI so I could waste weeks trying to chase down an issue that, for me, is highly reproducible. Doing packet captures and other deep network stuff shouldn't be necessary to properly use the OBI, and expecting end-users to know how to do this is ridiculous.

S--F

Quote from: neilio on October 18, 2011, 01:19:26 PM

I really wanted to make this work, but as you can see I've done a ton of troubleshooting with no solution. I gave up and went back to my 3102. I can appreciate this works for most people, but that's the way bugs go - they're not always reproducible by everyone.

Does this mean that reverting to 3102 fixes the problem? I have had the OBI110 since March when the rush happened and I have experienced this issue with every FW. The worst part for me is the dropped calls. After 10 - 15 minutes into a call I hear a terrible noise and then the call drops. Some times the other party hears a noise. Some times they just loose the call.
BTW I just had to warranty my 110 because it stopped working entirely (OBI tech support is great! It was painless. Best RMA procedure I've EVER had). I was hoping the new device wouldn't do these things. Well, it does. I'm thinking that it must be Google Voice and not the OBI110. I'm certain that the Obihai staff can reproduce these issues. If it were under their control I imagine they would either do something about it. The weird fact is that they haven't openly said that it is Google Voice and not the OBI. This is why we are all scratching our heads and waving torches at Obihai. There should be some public recognition of these issues and an explanation to the best of their abilities.

neilio

Quote from: S--F on October 19, 2011, 04:00:55 PM
Does this mean that reverting to 3102 fixes the problem?
Yep - I've had the 3102 in place for about 10 days and had zero issues. I'm starting to wonder if I should RMA mine as well.

ShermanObi

We would like to work with you to get to the root of the problem.
I have PM'd you both to see about doing this.
If anyone else is experiencing this issue please contact support@obihai.com.
We will get it resolved.

Thanks!

Poorgrad

I've been reading through all of the forum discussions on this. I have been experiencing the call dropping since the beginning of October and have had the device since August. It drops my calls after about 3-10 minutes. It doesn't matter how many times I call the person back or they call me, it still drops. I am not a technical person. So I am afraid I don't understand any of the language like port forwarding and such. Can anyone help me out in trying to figure out what is happening or explaining in layman's terms how to test the device or how to move back to an old firmware update? I only have Google voice through the Obi because I can't afford anything else as I am in grad school. I would appreciate any help as it is getting the point where I can't talk to family members or friends back home.

I will contact support as well. But I am afraid I won't understand what they tell me to try. I just fall short at computer issues.

Thank you!

facaletz

Hi,There is some time since we have those problems(two Obi110 in Romania and one in Australia)
The obihai is exchanging e-mails with me trying to fix that.
I put the coppy of my last email send to them in weekend,maybe helps finding a common culprit of that.
>>>>>
  Hi
1.I did,even I took out the AU Obi line, still happening .
2.LINE port have been used for most of the time just on the Romanian obis
3.For now I don't change firmware living it as t he last resort to try
4.Calling local numbers -not distorsions,I called different combination ,From mobil-short call to Obi-Sp1-call back tru **8 xx-mobil-call other number again tru Sp1 -everything ok
5.Is nothing to do with the complexity of the call,the basic scenario which trigger the problem is Phone Obi Au-Obi(s)Ro-Line out.
After i do the first call as above,the first call from Ro mobile-ObiRO-ObiAU-phone/or callout has:
a)on Romanian obi distorsions on AA and
b) call droping,distorsion and reduction of volume ,most of the time he can notice that after hearing a noise like a ,,cling" and that happening variabil in time on each call but never ccome back to normal during the call.
c)From that on doesn't matter which one is calling the problems persist till all Obis are reboot
!!! If is only Romanian party calling Australia we didn't notice to happen,this is probably why we thought ,,sometimes they works fine for a period of time"

It is a strange behavior ,hope that helps to ,,eradicate" the problem!
Have Nice Weekend!
                                 from the bottom of the.....Globe
Paul Costea

Mplsdan

+1, having issues, looking for an answer. I can hear the caller fine, but they can't hear me so well. I bypassed my Obi and used Google Voice direct from my computer and the audio was fine. I guess I'll try that support email next time I have an issue, and see if Obi staff can troubleshoot it.

kelley@1013studios.com

+2... this has been going on for WEEKS... come ON OBItalk... give us a solution!!!  I hear them FINE but my words are cutting out CONSTANTLY... it's MADDENING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ???

earthtoobi

i have the same issue now on googlevoice.(i can hear just fine while the other party cant hear me)
in fact today the obi rebooted in the middle of a call.

brat

i am having the same issue with google voice. i can hear other party just okay but they cant hear me clear.
rebooting obi is not helping at all. I had to switch to web to place the calls.

dhfobi

I'm having the same problem, I can hear fine and the other party says I'm breaking up. My Comcast internet speeds are 25mbps down and 4mbps up, from SB6120 modem and Linksys wrt54G router running Tomato firmware and QoS turned off.
I just bought the Obi100 and am using it with Google Voice. I will continue my evaluation for another 2 weeks but if this cannot be resolved I will return it as my wife is upset and refuses to use it with this problem. I currently have Vonage and no such problem with it. I's like to use the Obi/GV connection as the price is right, but not with the current performance. Since I'm seeing that this problem has been reported for months with no solution, I'm not encouraged that this will be my replacement VoIP service.

RonR

dhfobi,

Here's something easy to try:

1. Dial *** 0

2. Enter option 27 and press #

3. Press 1 to set a new value

4. Enter a value of 1 and press #

5. Press 1 to confirm/save

6. Hang up

7. Wait for the OBi to reboot

This will change the Ethernet port on the OBi from 10 mb/s half-duplex to 100 mb/s full duplex.  This helps in some cases.

dhfobi

"This will change the Ethernet port on the OBi from 10 mb/s half-duplex to 100 mb/s full duplex.  This helps in some cases."
Thanks,
I've done it. How on the Obi100 web page can I see the port settings?....Assuming I can.

RonR

You can't.  It's a hidden setting only available from the IVR configuration menu.  You can confirm it took by executing Option 27 again and hearing that the value is now 1 rather than 0 (the default value).

dhfobi

Quote from: RonR on January 29, 2012, 08:03:37 PM
You can't.  It's a hidden setting only available from the IVR configuration menu.  You can confirm it took by executing Option 27 again and hearing that the value is now 1 rather than 0 (the default value).

Got it, thanks again

dhfobi

Quote from: dhfobi on January 29, 2012, 08:07:33 PM
Quote from: RonR on January 29, 2012, 08:03:37 PM

Got it, thanks again

No help,...... any other suggestions? I've read to setup a separate subnet for the OBi, and/or port forward ports to the device, are any of these, solutions to the 'audio breakup' problem?!?
My Vonage service fortunately is working fine and is what my wife is using so I have another couple of weeks to evaluate the OBi/GV system before my 30 day return option expires.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.