News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can't make or receive calls using GVoice since this morning

Started by ubergoober, May 05, 2018, 02:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Italian

Quote from: magicwine on March 23, 2020, 02:51:48 PM
My issues are:

1. For some companies, when placed on hold, I get a loud whooshing sound ie white noise. They can hear me, I can't hear them. Sometimes this occurs when I choose a numbered option.
The above issue happens at least 50% of the time, if not more.

2. After a longer call, get disconnected. Happens maybe 20% of the time.

3. My google voice number is forwarding to my cell phone. When I have my cell on, sometimes I hear it ring, but my cordless phone working via the obi200 doesn't ring at the same time, which it usually does.

When I unplug the power adapter, wait about 5 minutes and replug it in, this sometimes fixes this issues. For how long, I am not sure.

I read a topic here where replacing the power adapter fixed at least one of the above issues. Figured an inexpensive and easy fix - so now knowing this, refer back to  my initial question:

Whether replacing with the same model power adapter or another one with the same specs but up to 2amps and 24 watts - which version would be more likely than not to fix this issue if it can be fixed by a replacement power adapter?

Thanks for your help.

Bob

I have your exact 3 issues going on for a few months. I highly doubt it's the power adapter the cause.

magicwine

Why - have you tried a new one and it failed?

I had a power surge or some power issue when a tree  hit the power line connected to my house while I was on vacation.

When I returned home, I was having this problem so somehow it is related to that. Did you have any surges or issues that might have preceded the start of your issues?

Bob

shuashef

Hey Steve,

I followed your directions and I'm still having an issue.
I have a corded phone with which I can call in.  However, I just tried switching to a different corded phone (so I can have extra handsets) and when I try calling to my google voice, the phone rings but when I pick up there is no connection and the phone I'm calling from keeps ringing.  Any suggestions?

SteveInWA

Quote from: shuashef on April 22, 2020, 03:55:58 AM
Hey Steve,

I followed your directions and I'm still having an issue.
I have a corded phone with which I can call in.  However, I just tried switching to a different corded phone (so I can have extra handsets) and when I try calling to my google voice, the phone rings but when I pick up there is no connection and the phone I'm calling from keeps ringing.  Any suggestions?

Unless you left out some details, the obvious answer would be:  that's a defective telephone or telephone cord.

danzg

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 05, 2018, 04:32:31 PM
  • Now, plug in the Ethernet cable and go to the OBiTALK dashboard, and click the button to add a device.  Follow the instructions to press **5 xxxx to add your device.

This step is not working for me ... tried several times. Heard "sent to server."
Updated firmware to 3.2.2 (Build: 5921EX).
Still no go.

drgeoff

Quote from: danzg on December 24, 2020, 08:01:58 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on May 05, 2018, 04:32:31 PM
  • Now, plug in the Ethernet cable and go to the OBiTALK dashboard, and click the button to add a device.  Follow the instructions to press **5 xxxx to add your device.

This step is not working for me ... tried several times. Heard "sent to server."
Updated firmware to 3.2.2 (Build: 5921EX).
Still no go.
See the replies to the numerous other posters with the same issue.

OnyejeHome

Not sure if this applies here, but I added my obi200 device to my obitalk account for the first time just this morning by following the steps that I posted in this thread: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=17783.msg106501#msg106501

I'll post my response below as well in case the link to the other forum post doesn't work.

"Nice mpotratz!

I just followed your advice and tried the same thing. Before on December 31st, I tried connecting my obi200 device by retrying every 2-3 minutes, and would do research inbetween tries and was unsuccessful, not to mention that I made the DNS changes and swapped out the ethernet cable that came with the obi with my own thinking the cable was at fault, and in the obi firmware settings changed the timezone to match my current timezone (also experimented with keeping the phone on the line during the entire 120 second discovery process, and hanging up after hearing the message the first time, with no success. I think I made 6 connection attempts total yesterday over a 15 minute period before giving up).

However, today, I tried again, and this time just followed the instructions and would hang up immediately after the start of the first message (wouldn't even let the first message audio finish playing). I did this in succession over a 10 or 15 minute period, and was able to squeeze in 10-13 attempts during that time frame and it finally connected on the 13th try.

So, yeah, for those of you having connection issues, just retry the process without thinking into it too much or trying to do anything different than normal. It should start finally reaching the server and properly connecting. It almost seems like there's a timeout issue with their servers, and with each attempt, the device makes it further into the handshake process with the server that it's supposed to talk to. Would almost seem like expanding the discovery period on the obi site from 110 or 120 seconds to 5-10 minutes might solve the issue. But this is all me just hypothesizing without any true understanding of the network process behind the scenes. I just remember on one of my attempts (maybe around #11 or 12), I saw that my browser actually started showing that a TLS handshake was occurring, which is something I recall not seeing the first couple of times I tried. Anyways, everyone, keep on attempting those connections and don't give up, it will eventually work!"

I just finished testing making and receiving calls on my cordless phone attached to my obi200 device and haven't had issues. Last thing I need to figure out before i'm satisfied is how to get my google voice number to show when making outgoing calls from my cordless phone.

---Update---
Not sure if adding my area code in the Obi Dashboard and SP1 Google Voice Configuration made a difference, or whether I just needed to give it more time, but now my phone number/caller ID shows up properly for outgoing calls.

msrrb

Quote from: drgeoff on December 25, 2020, 04:36:09 AM
See the replies to the numerous other posters with the same issue.

So not helpful. Do you mean other replies in this 2 year old 210 post thread or somewhere within the forum? Can you LINK to one of the replies? Or even what search terms to use since the search only searches for each word individually and not as a set? Any of that would be much more helpful than this statement.

msrrb

FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS PEOPLE, IF YOU ARE HAVING TROUBLE ADDING YOUR DEVICE AFTER CALLING AND CONNECTING TO THE **5 NUMBER RESULTS IN A TIMEOUT ERROR
(Also note first that there are two * not one before the 5.) Thank you to @OnyejeHome for this explanation.

Quote from: OnyejeHome on January 01, 2021, 10:24:05 AM
Not sure if this applies here, but I added my obi200 device to my obitalk account for the first time just this morning by following the steps that I posted in this thread: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=17783.msg106501#msg106501

I'll post my response below as well in case the link to the other forum post doesn't work. [Shortened by me. Edited for clarity. Use link to see full original response.]

I just followed the instructions and would hang up immediately after the start of the message (wouldn't even let the message audio finish playing). I did this in succession [within the same 120s timeout period]. Over a 10 or 15 minute period, I was able to squeeze in 10-13 attempts and it finally connected on the 13th try.

So, yeah, for those of you having connection issues, just retry the process without thinking into it too much or trying to do anything different than normal. It should start finally reaching the server and properly connecting. It almost seems like there's a timeout issue with their servers, and with each attempt, the device makes it further into the handshake process with the server that it's supposed to talk to....Anyways, everyone, keep on attempting those connections and don't give up, it will eventually work!"

jacek_

Hi, my OBi 200 stopped working with GV this week.  It was originally set up in 2015 with GV account dedicated for it.  Device has the latest F/W.  I didn't touch neither OBi nor GV settings since creation.

I got initially the "Connecting to 216.239.36.145;Token Error," and the standard "has not received response from SP" voice error when trying to call any number.  OBi support asked me to delete that device from GV and redo GV setup on OBi portal.  Got the same results (token error).  However, this time the device was _not_ added to GV account.

I followed directions from the first page of this thread, but am still ending up with the same thing (token error) and no OBi device in GV setting.

As far as I can see, the initial OAuth looks good, neither Google, nor OBi are complaining. After that, there is long 'Configuring' time ending with "Registration Not Required" and at some point transitioning to "Token Error," but no changes on GV side (no OBi device/app there).  My take is that somehow OBi either didn't get OAuth token, is mishandling it, or maybe a new GV permission needs to be requested by OBi.  Another thing is that since I didn't touch those two accounts for a long time, maybe there is something new on GV side that I need to enable/disable.

Actually, I have a question about the #4 bullet in Steve's instructions (Third-party apps with account access).  When you say "delete all telephony apps" do you mean "Google Voice" app as well?  I am not deleting that one, so maybe that is the blocking issue?

Thank you for your help,
Jacek

SteveInWA

Yes, delete the Google Voice app permission, at the point in the procedure I documented.  This will force the OAUTH authentication process to be refreshed.

It should go without saying, but have you checked that your Google Voice service hasn't been suspended, or the number reclaimed (taken back by Google)?

Use a desktop web browser (Google Chrome Browser, Microsoft Edge Chromium, Firefox or Safari, production versions only), sign into the correct account that holds your Google Voice number, and go here:  https://voice.google.com/

Confirm that your Google Voice phone number is still shown, and make a test call from the browser interface.  Also call your Google Voice phone number from some unrelated phone number and confirm that it rings on the browser.

jacek_

Thank you Steve,

I have deleted GV app permission, while going through the recovery steps.  It didn't really help.  I still get the "has not received response from SP" error and the "Token Error."  In the Google account Security / "Apps with access to your account" the Google Voice entry was regenerated, with 'Access given on:' few minutes ago (two entries: Third-party apps... and Google Account sign-in prompts).  Although, GV Settings doesn't have OBi as a second device (only Web is listed).

As OBi was granted permissions (two entries in Google account Security section), that implies that the initial OAuth is working fine.  However, I assume that the token is incorectly used when trying to add OBi device to GV account.  That may indicate that either Google modified OAuth permissions or I am missing some entry either in Google Security side or GV Settings that gives permission to add a new device.  Not sure what else it could be.  Actually, I don't know who negotiates that OAuth exchange to add OBi device.  Is that done by the OBi Portal, or rather by OBi device.  Maybe my device is missing something as it is 2015.

- GV account is not suspended, I can use it from a browser to call or receive calls for the listed number.  So, the phone number is also OK, as incoming calls are fine.
- GV account used is correct, as in the Google Security part of that account a new permission is granted, and the phone number is listed at the top of Account section.

Actually, in Google account Security, there is one more settings "Less secure app access on/off."  I tried both, but it didn't make a difference.  I guess, this is where OBi tries to make a call, not when a new OBi device is being added to the account.

UPDATE: Went through the process second time.  Right now for more than an hour OBi status is "Connecting to 216.239.36.145."  As there is still no OBi device in GV account, that would imply that:
- Google successfully granted OAuth permissions/token to OBi
- OBi is trying to use that OAuth token to setup my OBi device, but struggles with it

My guess is that the error I saw before "Token error" means that OBi for whatever reason is failing to OAuth handshake based on the granted token.  My assumption is that it is OBi portal talking directly to GV account, so my OBi device is for now out of the picture (whether it is good or bad).

SteveInWA

Well, one thing that comes to mind is that you said you set up the device in 2015.  It's possible it is running downlevel firmware.

Pick up the phone, and key in ***0 then 1# and listen to it speak the firmware version.  If it is lower than 3.2.2.5921 then you need to upgrade it, using this file:

http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-2-2-5921EX-332148940.fw

The Google Voice authentication is negotiated by the portal, but the token is stored on your device.

jacek_

Really appreciate your help, Steve!

I got the same number for F/W.  Although, I downloaded that F/W, and tried to update my adapter just in case (using embedded portal), and got the message "Previous version identical to the update.  F/W not modified."  So, good to confirm it, but that's not it.  Actually, is there a way to force that update?

As far as OAuth, I think there are three steps:

• Negotiating permissions (adding Google Voice to Apps with access to your account in general account settings) - OBi portal to Google account.
  • Adding OBi device to GV settings - OBi portal to GV account (I think this is where I am failing)
  • Storing the token on OBi device to be used to negotiate calls

If those assumptions are correct, than either something changed on OBi portal side, or on G/GV side.  As mentioned, I didn't do any changes to either account for quite some time (if ever), and it just stopped working last week.  However, at that time I had OBi device in GV Account (was asked to remove it by OBi support).  Although, if that would be the case (portal/Google changes), I would not be the only one whining right now.

That means that maybe OBi portal is storing the token right away on the device, and the flash on my device is corrupted, basically giving back a damaged token.

I wish there would be a way to turn on more detailed error logs, either on the OBi portal and/or on device.  Actually, on Google side would help as well, as that could tell that the token is missing/bad.

Any other suggestions?

UPDATE
Actually, I used the internal admin page (on OBi device), and enabled syslog (System Management / Device Admin / Syslog).  There is some output from OBi device, and one potential SSL error came during GV setup when new config/settings were downloaded, and OBi was asked to reboot:

2021-04-19T19:28:41.827846-07:00 obihai200.jacek.int  BASESSL:verifing:20
2021-04-19T19:28:41.830269-07:00 obihai200.jacek.int  BASESSL:connect error:-1:1[4401]
2021-04-19T19:28:41.830544-07:00 obihai200.jacek.int  TC[lhttpc]:ssl connection failed
2021-04-19T19:28:41.830696-07:00 obihai200.jacek.int  GAPI:connect error

It is hard to tell, whether that is serious, as few lines after that there is just HTTP connection that is successful (not sure whether the same remote host).

After a couple of minutes, OBi again sent the same BASESSL connection error.  So, that would suggest that it may be serious, as it is trying to reconnect.

Earlier in the process, there were two hosts indicated: obihai.telephony.goog (one from Google giving token error - SIP proxy) and root.pnn.obihai.com (potentially OBi portal).  Not sure if either of those is causing that SSL error.

I have tried to make an outgoing call, but there are no SIP traces, just DTMF detection.  Looking at that internal management page for SIP, there is no entry to enable logging, so kind of useless for debugging.

jacek_

Again, thank you so much for all those directions, Steve!!

Yesterday, I got a new GV account with a new number, and tried to add it to my account.  It didn't work, it was giving me the exact same problems.  Frustrated, I left that new number connected.  I ordered a new device (assuming that OAuth token is stored on device, and that part of Flash is busted).

Today, I got an email from Poly stating that everything works!  Magic!!!  Well, I didn't change anything.  I tried to call, and the new GV account was working fine.  OBi device was in GV Account part.  I switched back to my old GV account / number, and voila, everything is working fine!!

There was no change on my side (whether OBi device or OBi / Google accounts.  My take is that if that was on Google side, potentially more people (e.g., GV clients) / services (e.g., YT using OAuth) would be affected.  That makes me thing that OBi services required a reboot.  Although, this is the first time for me in a really long time (I mentioned 2015, but actually that was when I purchased a second device for my relatives).

Steve, Thank you again! Jacek

SteveInWA

Quote from: jacek_ on April 21, 2021, 04:20:01 PM
Again, thank you so much for all those directions, Steve!!

Yesterday, I got a new GV account with a new number, and tried to add it to my account.  It didn't work, it was giving me the exact same problems.  Frustrated, I left that new number connected.  I ordered a new device (assuming that OAuth token is stored on device, and that part of Flash is busted).

Today, I got an email from Poly stating that everything works!  Magic!!!  Well, I didn't change anything.  I tried to call, and the new GV account was working fine.  OBi device was in GV Account part.  I switched back to my old GV account / number, and voila, everything is working fine!!

There was no change on my side (whether OBi device or OBi / Google accounts.  My take is that if that was on Google side, potentially more people (e.g., GV clients) / services (e.g., YT using OAuth) would be affected.  That makes me thing that OBi services required a reboot.  Although, this is the first time for me in a really long time (I mentioned 2015, but actually that was when I purchased a second device for my relatives).

Steve, Thank you again! Jacek

I'm glad it worked, but you didn't follow my instructions to transfer the number, which would likely have fixed it.

Also, your assumptions about OAUTH are incorrect.  Google Voice is one of the very few remaining Google services still using that authentication method.  You'll never know what Poly did, but there was likely a problem with your OBiTALK preventing the token exchange.  This wasn't caused by Google.

jacek_

No, I didn't follow your instructions to do a full xfr.  There were two reasons for me to not do it.  First, the new GV account with a new number behave exactly as my old one (there was no OBi device added to GV Account page).  The second, I wanted to keep my call history / names from the old account.  I didn't know whether that will be xfred with the number, or will be destroyed for 'security' reasons.

Again, I did try to reconfigure that SP1 several times yesterday.  I got a new browser to get a clean Google account there, and nothing was moving fwd.  Today, after the email from Poly, all of the sudden, everything started to work, both new and old account.  So, my take is that it had to be something outside of my control (device, portal, G/GV settings).

Also, your statement that my assumptions about OAuth are wrong are a bit harsh.  I have never stated that Google does only OAuth.  Also, you stated that there are still _few_ services that are using it.  My take is that we were both correct.  However, whether that is the case or not, my point about OAuth was just how it works between OBi (in general - portal/device) and G/GV.

I guess, we can close this chapter, as we are splitting hairs right now.

Although, I replied to Poly, asking them to improve error reporting (through portal, syslog).  Maybe it would be good to have a separate thread that would start listing errors that people have, and explanations / fixes.  This way, maybe it would be more visible to OBi, that it could help if they do it.

jacek_

Well, guess what.  There is right now "Connect Failed: 403 Forbidden;Token Error" in OBi's portal. 

Again, it started to work by itself (although, kind of surprisingly right after Poly's delayed by two days email).  Right now, it went down again by itself (OBi's maintenance or we are back to square one???).

drgeoff

Quote from: jacek_ on April 21, 2021, 07:20:44 PM
Well, guess what.  There is right now "Connect Failed: 403 Forbidden;Token Error" in OBi's portal. 

Again, it started to work by itself (although, kind of surprisingly right after Poly's delayed by two days email).  Right now, it went down again by itself (OBi's maintenance or we are back to square one???).
FYI. Once your device has been successfully configured for GV, Obihai's servers play no further part in keeping it so configured, nor in making nor receiving GV calls.

The portal can see and report to you the state that your OBi is in vis-a-vis GV (or any other ITSP).

If when the GV connection is back up and working you go into your device's on-board configuration interface and disable Obitalk Provisioning then you can be sure that any subsequent going down of GV is not caused by Obihai servers sending bad instructions to your device.