News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi302 and Norton Core

Started by mmurrell, January 18, 2019, 08:19:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmurrell

I have an Obi302 that I bought from Amazon years ago and have it connected after my new Norton Core Router.   I use PhonePower as my service provider.  I am getting conflicting information from PhonePower as to what ports I should forward.  The Norton Core will not allow ranges of ports and you must put in an external port and an internal port for each rule.  Can anybody help me know what ports I should forward, and how to do it with the Norton Core?  Basically, Norton Core says it is a PhonePower issue and PhonePower sais it is a Norton Core issue.

Currently, I have the OBi's router configuration options to be in bridge mode with the DHCP disabled.  

PS...I have used the phone itself and *** plus numbers to configure.  I enabled Web Management Access from WAN port, but still have no access even if I use admin/admin or user/user.

Sheffield_Steve

Why do you have the router in "bridge mode"?

mmurrell

Quote from: Sheffield_Steve on January 18, 2019, 08:38:20 AM
Why do you have the router in "bridge mode"?

Because I want Norton Core to do the routing.  And the other day I lost both my phones and my internet for quite some time.  Norton Core never did figure out what happened, but after more and more research, I think the OBi reset all the IP addresses.  The IP addresses had defaulted to a 192.168.10.1.  Norton Core IP addresses are 172.16.x.xxx.

I have now set the OBi to have a static IP address assigned from the Core.

I know just enough to be VERY dangerous.  So, If I am messing up, just let me know.

Sheffield_Steve

OK, I misunderstood then.  I read it as you had the Norton core router in bridge mode when you mean that the Obi is in bridge mode.

I'm not familiar with the Norton hardware, but typically on consumer grade routers you don't need to change anything.  (No need to open ports etc.)

If I was you I would do a hard reset of the Obi (to default) and start again.

And set the DHCP mode on the norton on, and let it give out the IP addresses

mmurrell

Quote from: Sheffield_Steve on January 18, 2019, 10:05:18 AM
OK, I misunderstood then.  I read it as you had the Norton core router in bridge mode when you mean that the Obi is in bridge mode.

Thank you for your reply.  I corrected my wording on the OP to clarify that it was the OBi302 that I set to bridge mode.

Everything is working fine right now, but I have opened the ports PhonePower has suggested...(I think).  With that said, I read in different places on this forum what ports to open, and the number of ports listed is much greater than what PhonePower is telling me to open. Are the listing on this forum for all service providers or just GV / Obitalk?

PhonePower also told me to NOT update my device because the last three updates have wreaked havoc on their side.  I still have version 3.1.1.5462.  Are there any security issues with keeping this version?

Taoman

Quote from: mmurrell on January 18, 2019, 10:20:01 AM
I corrected my wording on the OP to clarify that it was the OBi302 that I set to bridge mode.

Uh..........ok, if you say so but that's certainly not how I read it.

Quote from: mmurrellCurrently, I have the Core's router configuration options to be in bridge mode with the DHCP disabled.

drgeoff

It is rarely necessary to forward any ports.  Try without.

mmurrell

Quote from: Taoman on January 18, 2019, 10:49:33 AM
Quote from: mmurrell on January 18, 2019, 10:20:01 AM
I corrected my wording on the OP to clarify that it was the OBi302 that I set to bridge mode.

Uh..........ok, if you say so but that's certainly not how I read it.

Quote from: mmurrellCurrently, I have the Core's router configuration options to be in bridge mode with the DHCP disabled.

OH MY GOSH.  You are so right.  I have NOW correctly corrected my OP!