News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Polycom newbie, non-service provider - used phone refurbisher

Started by jmattei, January 21, 2019, 12:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmattei

So i'm REALLY hoping someone can help me, because I've tried everything i can think of as well as googled and youtubed everything i can find to help with this, but nothing seems to be doing the trick.

I'm a used phone reseller (we buy used phones from our dealers that buy new phone systems to install, though not generally polycom models).  And i happen to have come up on a polycom ip550.

I am not an official service provider, i don't assume there is any OBi coverage on the phone, but nonetheless, i'm trying to basically fully reset/factory default and leave it ready for reuse and possible resale.

The bootroom software on this unit is 4.3.1.0440 and I had tried holding the 4,5,6,* to reset, but it didn't clear all the previous user directories that had been set up on it, so I went through manually using the admin password 456 which was never changed, to manually reset all the available options via the phones UI, trying to clear all the previous used data out.  None of the resets would do that until finally I manually did a FILE FORMAT which got rid of everything off the phone, aside from the bootrom, which still shows up as 4.3.1.0440.

So then i tried getting it back up to connect to the bootserver using voipt2.polycom.com as i'd seen done on youtube to try and restore all the default apps etc, but i keep getting a "cannot connect to boot server, using previous configuration" over and over again.  when doing that i had tried changing the server type originally to HTTP, but still nothing, so i put it back on FTP, still nothing....i'm stuck in this endless loop of reboot and failed connection to boot server and looks like any help i can find through polycom requires some paid service or existing coverage for warranty avail to OBitalk...but that's NOT me and i'm hopeful someone can help me out...

I also tried disabling DHCP and putting a static just for poops and giggles, but still no change...

Any help out there for me?

drgeoff

Although Obihai was taken over by Polycom about a year ago there is no common heritage in the previous product lines. The vast majority of posters here have no experience of previous Polycom IP phones. What is known about OBi IP phones is unlikely to assist with your question.

Have you tried asking on a forum which does cover the Polycom IP550.

jmattei

thanks so much for shedding some light on this for me....i really have never before dealt with polycom, so this is my first experience ever, so a total newb and am unfamiliar with anything polycom and when i search for  ip550 this and a bunch of youtube videos is all that pops up...and when i call their support lines all they talk about is if i have obitalk devices or if i have paid for obitalk services, so i am completely green here in terms of polycomm and have been trying since last friday to find a solution to my issue and thus far, with this attempt on this forum, by most recent hope for some help, i'm at a loss of where to turn.... 

:-(

BUt thanks so much for taking a few minutes to let me know i'm not likely to find any help here...i appreciate that info and will keep on looking i guess.  Thanks!