News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI 202 CONNECTED, echo test okay, dial tone but no sound

Started by jakeinpdx, April 12, 2019, 09:01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeinpdx

I have an obi202 from 2012. I haven't used it in a couple years so I plugged it in and updated the firmware. I reloaded configurations for use with google voice account.
Echo test worked
says configured
pick up the receiver to a dial tone, however when I dial I get nothing, no sound. It doesn't disconnect until about 20 - 40 seconds and then it goes back to a dial tone.

HELP!!

drgeoff

Quote from: jakeinpdx on April 12, 2019, 09:01:12 AM
I have an obi202 from 2012. I haven't used it in a couple years so I plugged it in and updated the firmware. I reloaded configurations for use with google voice account.
Echo test worked
says configured
pick up the receiver to a dial tone, however when I dial I get nothing, no sound. It doesn't disconnect until about 20 - 40 seconds and then it goes back to a dial tone.

HELP!!
What do you mean by "reloaded configurations for use with google voice account."? There have been major changes to GV and you must use the proper procedure on the portal to configure it.  If you used the old method of entering username and password that no longer works.

jakeinpdx

Drgeoff I followed what I thought were step by step instructions that amounted to registering the device via **5 code and the registering the sp1 service line through my voice account. Can you direct me to step by step on the "new" set up process. Sounds like I don't have the info I need to be successful.  Thanks

SteveInWA

• Completely delete the OBi device off of the OBiTALK web portal.  Wait patiently while it remotely reboots the device.
  • Perform a "restore to factory defaults" procedure:  Pick up the phone attached to the OBi and key in ***8, then 1 to confirm.  Wait patiently while it resets and reboots.
  • Re-add the device to your OBiTALK portal dashboard, using the **5 xxxx procedure.  At this point, it may automatically update the firmware on the device.  It needs to be 3.2.2.5921 or higher to work with Google Voice.  Stop here and reply if you can't get this far (device deleted, factory-reset, re-added and firmware updated).
  • Assuming that all worked, then press Ctrl-T on your browser, and go here:  https://voice.google.com/settings.  Look closely at the settings page.  Make sure it displays your inbound Google Voice number at the top of the page.  If not, you are either signed into the wrong Google account, or your number was reclaimed for lack of use.  If you see the number, then...
  • Follow the procedure on the OBiTALK portal to configure SP1 to use Google Voice.  When it pops up a window asking for your permission to access your Google account, make darn sure you are granting permission to the correct account (the same one shown in the other browser tab).
  • Wait for it to remotely configure the device, and the SP1 status to change to "Connected".  This can take several minutes. Don't interrupt the procedure.
  • Can you now make outbound calls and receive inbound calls on SP1, using your Google Voice number?

jakeinpdx

SteveinWA
1) Completely delete the OBi device off of the OBiTALK web portal.  Wait patiently while it remotely reboots the device.
DONE
2)Perform a "restore to factory defaults" procedure:  Pick up the phone attached to the OBi and key in ***8, then 1 to confirm.  Wait patiently while it resets and reboots.
This is the paperclip reset right? DONE

3) Re-add the device to your OBiTALK portal dashboard, using the **5 xxxx procedure.  At this point, it may automatically update the firmware on the device.  It needs to be 3.2.2.5921 or higher to work with Google Voice.
DONE but the build says: SoftwareVersion   3.2.1 (Build: 5757EX)

Stop here and reply if you can't get this far (device deleted, factory-reset, re-added and firmware updated).
Assuming that all worked, then
4) press Ctrl-T on your browser, and go here:  https://voice.google.com/settings.  Look closely at the settings page.  Make sure it displays your inbound Google Voice number at the top of the page.  If not, you are either signed into the wrong Google account, or your number was reclaimed for lack of use.
DONE 

If you see the number, then...
5) Follow the procedure on the OBiTALK portal to configure SP1 to use Google Voice.
Done
When it pops up a window asking for your permission to access your Google account, make darn sure you are granting permission to the correct account (the same one shown in the other browser tab).
[font=Verdana]Done it shows this account in the web page control panel too I believe.[/font]
Wait for it to remotely configure the device, and the SP1 status to change to "Connected".  This can take several minutes. Don't interrupt the procedure.
DONE

Can you now make outbound calls and receive inbound calls on SP1, using your Google Voice number?
No, it is still silent after dialing and "times out" back to a dial tone.
I tried **1 then dialing and that doesn't work either

drgeoff

Quote from: jakeinpdx on April 13, 2019, 01:41:21 PM
SteveinWA
3) Re-add the device to your OBiTALK portal dashboard, using the **5 xxxx procedure.  At this point, it may automatically update the firmware on the device.  It needs to be 3.2.2.5921 or higher to work with Google Voice.
DONE but the build says: SoftwareVersion   3.2.1 (Build: 5757EX)

Stop here and reply if you can't get this far (device deleted, factory-reset, re-added and firmware updated).edure.
DONE
3.2.1 Build 5757 is lower than 3.2.2 Build 5921. Try again.

If it will not update the firmware automatically you can do it manually.  The procedure is detailed under 'Option 3' in http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0.  Be sure to read the notes about 202/302.

jakeinpdx

Thanks for your assistance, I went through and disconnected the device from the account. Opened the WAN port, updated the firmware and received back this response "Previous version identical to the update. Firmware not modified."

I then went back and tried the phone and it dialed out!

So it worked.... Thanks