News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Calling Skype Users via SIP URI

Started by RonR, September 22, 2011, 02:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RonR

Skype users may be called via SIP URI by creating a Speed Dial:

SPx(skype_username@skype.sipnet.ru)

where SPx is SP1 or SP2, which must be configured for SIP.

The called Skype user must have Privacy -> Allow calls from... set to 'anyone' or have 'skype.sipnet.ru' in their Contact list if it's set to 'people in my Contact list only'.

Winfried

I haven't made it yet, and would like to know when/why to use SIP URI's with the Obi110.

Is the use of SIP URI's required because the Obi110 isn't a real PBX?

Does the Obi110 act like some kind of web server to which I would send eg. skype_username@skype.sipnet.ru from a PC running an SIP client that supports sendind SIP URI's, and expect the Obi110 to ring skype_username@skype.sipnet.ru through the default channel?

Thank you.

RonR

Quote from: Winfried on September 22, 2011, 03:59:59 PM
I haven't made it yet, and would like to know when/why to use SIP URI's with the Obi110.

Just as an email address is a way to direct a written message to a particular destination, a SIP URI is a way to direct a VoIP call to a particular destination.  I can't think of a good explanation for when/why to use a SIP URI other than when you have one and it's the best method available to you to place the call.

Is the use of SIP URI's required because the Obi110 isn't a real PBX?

Since real PBX's aren't normally in the business of dealing with SIP URI's and the OBi isn't trying to be a PBX, I don't know how to answer this one.

Does the Obi110 act like some kind of web server to which I would send eg. skype_username@skype.sipnet.ru from a PC running an SIP client that supports sendind SIP URI's, and expect the Obi110 to ring skype_username@skype.sipnet.ru through the default channel?

No, the SIP URI skype_username@skype.sipnet.ru gets sent from the OBi to the SIP server skype.sipnet.ru where it connects the SIP call to the Skype network resulting in a call to skype_username.

It's not necessary to understand all the workings of SIP and SIP URI's to make use of the capability described in the original post.  The intent was simply to illustrate a method of initiating calls to Skype users from the telephone connected to your OBi's PHONE Port.

Ostracus

Interesting except I'd be worried about the security of sending my calls to Russia.

yhfung

Many thanks to RonR for providing this useful link.

I have tried it and confirm it works!

YH
Hong Kong and China OBi Users Group
www.telecom-cafe.com

Dale