News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi202 - no dialtone

Started by Angkor, July 24, 2019, 04:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angkor

Hi there,
I have a 2 year old Obi202 that was working fine until couple of weeks ago. I was out on vacation for couple of weeks, and had unplugged it. Now, upon plugging it back there's no dialtone when I pick it up. I did quite a few debugging things to resolve it, but it doesn't work. So before I take it to be a non working device, wanted to run it by you guys Obi forum to see if you can confirm it's now a brick! Here's the current status:
- With just the ethernet connected, after plugging in , the power LED goes normal like red -> blinking green. Internet/data activity LED goes blinking. but here's the thing - there are no phones connected but the Phone1 LED keeps blinking steadily green and Phone 2 remains blank. I cannot seem to change that regardless if I connect a phone or 2 phones to both ports. And there's no dialtone upon picking up the phone
- I have checked and tried the different posts at the below with no success, incl the factory reset.
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13495.0

- So, as stated, I have tried doing a factory reset by depressing that spot underneath at the bottom. There's still no dial tone after it has run through its steps. The LED lights are in that same status as stated at the top. I actually tried factory reset more than once (don't ask me why!)
I have also seen other topics where users had luck by pressing it for a minute, and I have tried that, but no luck.

Is there anything else I can try to resolve this and get it back working?

SteveInWA

Quotethere are no phones connected but the Phone1 LED keeps blinking steadily

If that's truly the case, then the OBi device is either fried, or the gold wires in the phone jack on the back are bent and shorted together.  The blinking LED means "off hook", and since there are no phones plugged in, then a fault is causing the blinking.

drgeoff

Quote from: Angkor on July 24, 2019, 04:08:15 PM
- With just the ethernet connected, after plugging in , the power LED goes normal like red -> blinking green.
That is not normal. The power LED should finish at steady green shortly after booting.

SteveInWA

Yeah, between that and the no dialtone, I'd say it's hammer time.

Angkor

:'(  Thank you guys for confirming! I'll do another factory reset tomorrow and upload some pictures if I can. Hopefully third time's the charm... or not!

drgeoff

Try another power supply if you have a suitable one.  12 volts DC, centre positive, ideally at least 800 mA but probably a lower current one would be OK for the short period to see if the power LED goes solid, the phone LEDs behave and dial tone returns.  Dying PSU is a long shot but worth a try.

Angkor

I forgot to add this - yes, i have tried it with another power chord, no change in results. thanks!

Angkor

I just finished factory resetting once more, by depressing the button underneath. I gave it some time to do the reset.
Also, I have tried using another power cord, but didn't change anything. 
Now,
- With just the power connected and nothing else, the Power LED keeps blinking and the Phone 1 LED keeps blinking green steadily. No other lights.
- Then I connected the ethernet cable to internet port, and in a few, the power LED is steady green. Internet/Data is flickering but green like how usually it is. Phone 1 LED still keeps blinking green steadily. Phone 2 doesn't have any light.
- Now I connected an old analog phone (had it from years ago, and it still works fine. I tested it on another device) line to Phone 2 port, and no dialtone. LED lights status does not change.
- I connected that analog phone line to the Phone 1, and same thing.

So this is the current status and in all indication, i think the Obi202 is toast! Any other ideas guys?

drgeoff

Quote from: Angkor on July 25, 2019, 10:45:58 AM
I just finished factory resetting once more, by depressing the button underneath. I gave it some time to do the reset.
Also, I have tried using another power cord, but didn't change anything. 
Now,
- With just the power connected and nothing else, the Power LED keeps blinking and the Phone 1 LED keeps blinking green steadily. No other lights.
- Then I connected the ethernet cable to internet port, and in a few, the power LED is steady green. Internet/Data is flickering but green like how usually it is. Phone 1 LED still keeps blinking green steadily. Phone 2 doesn't have any light.
- Now I connected an old analog phone (had it from years ago, and it still works fine. I tested it on another device) line to Phone 2 port, and no dialtone. LED lights status does not change.
- I connected that analog phone line to the Phone 1, and same thing.

So this is the current status and in all indication, i think the Obi202 is toast! Any other ideas guys?
Have you ever had the OBi connected to house phone wiring?

Angkor

Umm... what do you mean? I have connected it to a digital phone (4 handsets), and an analog phone for testing. sorry, didn't quite understand ya.

Angkor

Quote from: drgeoff on July 25, 2019, 10:54:43 AM

Oh, you meant if my home already has it wired for phone and did I connect to that? If so, no I have not.

drgeoff

Quote from: Angkor on July 26, 2019, 08:41:44 AM
Quote from: drgeoff on July 25, 2019, 10:54:43 AM

Oh, you meant if my home already has it wired for phone and did I connect to that? If so, no I have not.
Yes that was what I meant.

Connecting an OBi port marked 'PHONE' to a telco line (eg via house phone wiring that is not properly disconnected from the outside world) runs a high risk of damaging the OBi.  It won't like the test voltages that a telco might apply or the induced voltages from a nearby lightning storm.

Angkor

Quote from: drgeoff on July 26, 2019, 10:18:46 AM

Yes that was what I meant.

Connecting an OBi port marked 'PHONE' to a telco line (eg via house phone wiring that is not properly disconnected from the outside world) runs a high risk of damaging the OBi.  It won't like the test voltages that a telco might apply or the induced voltages from a nearby lightning storm.
Got it, no I haven't. my house doesn't have it.  Thanks for helping!

Appreciate the replies everyone, and for confirming this is a goner! have a great weekend.