News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi w/ cable (Optimum) voice line?

Started by AnsyG, September 20, 2019, 12:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnsyG

I ditched my rental modem from Optimum and bought my own. Of course, since vast majority of retail cable modems are not don't come with EMTAs, I don't have an ability to plug in my home phone to anything.

I've heard of people using a second (cheap) modem to that has EMTA, but I can't find anyone discussing the ability to use a 3rd party ATA with a cable/service provider voice line. While I know that I could just get rid of my phone line with Optimum and get a 3rd party, Obi-compatible VoIP line, the price I get from Optimum ($10/month, no lock-in or contract) is actually quite competitive price-wise (after the fees, guys like PhonePower and Axvoice come out to the same price). Plus the multi-week wait on porting my numbers is a pain that I would rather avoid if I can.

In other words, I'm looking to understand if its possible to run my Optimum voice service with my Obi200 and, if so, how to configure it. Optimum had no clue what I was talking about when I asked them. I have no idea what the inputs would be for Service Provider Proxy Server, Outbound Proxy Server, Username/Password, and URI on the Obi service configuration page for Optimum (or any cable/service provider, for that matter - its not immediately obvious that such information is public or provided). Does anyone have an idea on how to do this or if its even possible?

Thanks.