News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Touch Tones Don't Pass To OBi From My Cell Phone

Started by johnASmith, February 27, 2020, 04:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnASmith

Brand new to OBi and to VOIP in general. I will be using the OBi with my Google Voice number only to remotely manage my home security system.  I have everything configured and working perfectly except touch tones are not passing so I can't send commands to my security system.  I found references on this forum to setting changes in "Expert Mode".  I took a look and am nervous about playing with those settings without step by step instructions.  Help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

UPDATE:  I unchecked the box by "Use This Service for a Security Alarm Line" and now the tones are being passed.  No idea why or if there will be other issues unchecking that box will cause.  But it appears I'm good to go.     

SteveInWA

Short answer:  no, you can't do that.

Longer answer:  there is a setting on the OBiTALK portal page for SPx slots configured for Google Voice, that says "Use This Service for a Security Alarm Line".  Checking that box tweaks the device to work with the ancient Ademco alarm communicator protocol, but it disables using Touch Tones.

Alarm companies are phasing out dial-up central station monitoring connections, given the rapid decline in landline phone use, and the degradation of the remaining copper POTS line network.  Most new installations use either or both a 4G LTE modem or a IP connection via a gateway box.

dcuste

Is there a star code that will effectively check the "security alarm" box?

SteveInWA