News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Calling through the landline

Started by Ploi82, October 09, 2011, 12:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ploi82

Hi,

Sorry if this was answered already, but I don't seem to be able to figure this one out, or to find relevant information. I have an Obi110 configured with Google Voice and also a landline plugged into it (in US). I can make/receive calls through Google Voice, and receive calls on the landline.

It is my understanding that Obi will know when calling 911 and route this call through the landline. Does my landline have to be added (requires some configuration) in ObiTalk in order for this to work?

Also, how can I call a number through the landline (other than 911) directly. Is there a code that needs to be entered before the actual number for calling through the landline (is any prior configuration needed in the device setup)?

Thank you for your help,
PL

RonR

911 calls to the PSTN line (LINE Port) are handled by the default OBi settings and nothing else is required.

If your PrimaryLine is SP1 (Google Voice) and you wish to place the call through the PSTN line (LINE Port), dial **8 + number.

To place a call to an OBiTALK number, dial **9 + number.

Ploi82

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. That worked.

Stewart

If you make many landline calls, you can set up the OBi to automatically select the line based on the number dialed.  For example, if the landline has unlimited local calling, you might choose to send all calls in your local area code that way.  Or, if it's a pseudo-landline, e.g. digital voice from your cable company, with unlimited domestic calling but high international rates, you could send all domestic calls via cable voice.

Whatever automatic behavior you set up can be overridden as desired: **1 to force a call to use SP1, **8 to force use of the landline.