News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI-202: Cannot call out or receive calls

Started by DeBassman, April 09, 2020, 09:52:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeBassman

My Obi 202 just stopped working! I can't make calls OR receive calls (I tried calling the number with my cell phone). I rebooted the unit and still nothing. Is my device dead or maybe there is an issue with GV? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

DeBassman

Problem Solved!! I had previously rebooted my OBI 202. This time I rebooted my internet box and router and now everything appears to be working. Whew, that's a relief!

DeBassman

Wellll, I guess I spoke too soon!! :-\ Now I am back to where I started and can't call out or receive calls. Anyone have any ideas on how I can troubleshoot my OBI-202, or Google Voice? My internet connection appears just fine because other devices on my network are working great. It just appears to be the OBI-202 that is not working. Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks!!

drgeoff

Can you successfully call the echo test number **9 222 222 222 ?

jholme004

Hi All, I've been having the same problem! I've had my 202 for about 15 months and has been flawless. Recently (3 weeks), been getting the useless "has not yet received a response from the service provider. I have factory reset the obi, put it in the DMZ, removed the google voice accounts from it, removed the device from my Obi Dashboard, removed Obi device from Google Voice devices, factory reset again, added DNS of 4.2.2.2 (Per support), re-added to my Obi Dashboard, re-added GV account, made one call, then started receiving the same message with the GV account showing "Registration not required" the a half hour after "Disconnected". Repeated the above but this time created a new ObiTalk account and tried a different GV account. Same thing.

Support told me to check the forums or pay for extended support for their continued help. It's been a week since I paid, and they have not yet replied.  Any thoughts on what I should try next?
-Jason

jholme004

UPDATE: I am now seeing "Connecting to 216.239.36.144;Token Error" as my status, even though I authorized my GV account 15 minutes ago.
-Jason

SteveInWA

Quote from: jholme004 on April 10, 2020, 10:34:46 AM
UPDATE: I am now seeing "Connecting to 216.239.36.144;Token Error" as my status, even though I authorized my GV account 15 minutes ago.

I know you're doing the best you can, given the lack of support, but you've kinda made a mess by all of those random changes.

OBi support always tells people to put the device in the DMZ, but that is rarely necessary, and it's a security exposure.  The DNS advice isn't ideal, either.

Your new message (token error) could be a problem with your Google account.  Is this a consumer Gmail account (you@gmail.com), or is it a G Suite account (you@yourbusiness.com)?  I assume for the moment it's a Gmail account.

Let's try to isolate this to either a Google account issue, or an OBi issue.

Use a desktop/laptop computer, running either Google Chrome Browser or Firefox.  Sign into the correct Google/Gmail account that you think holds your Google Voice number.  Go here:  https://voice.google.com/settings.

Do you see your inbound Google Voice phone number at the top of the page?  Do you instead get redirected to an error page?  Please be detailed with your observations.

If you do see your Google Voice phone number, then, still using that browser, "X" out of Settings and go to the calls page, and attempt to make a phone call, using your computer's mic and speakers or a headset.  What happens?

jholme004

Thanks for the reply SteveInWA.

First, here are the answers to your questions:
1 - I moved the Obi out of the DMZ and opened up the ports documented here: https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/Troubleshooting-sec/ports-to-keep-open-on-my-router
2 - The token error only comes after the "Registration not Required". Poly finally got back to me on that - more in a moment.
3 - no errors when I log into any of my GV accounts and I see the phone number on all. They all work via web or mobile app.

RE "Registration Not Required" - Poly told me that is due to an isp connectivity issue. I have Comcast (and have since I began using the Obi). I had been having problems with my XB6 gateway (didn't affect the Obi, but did overall speeds, my VPN and my Avaya Phone for work) and they found it to be defective and replaced it with an XB7 (Solved all my known issues and speed through the roof). Today, out of frustration, connected to my neighbors VZW Novatel T1114 - All worked perfectly for about an hour. Brought home and from the power back up, still the "Registration Not Required". So it seems the old question of "What Changed?" comes into play here and we can almost reliably say it was the gateway change. (The XB7 is sweet- 4 ethernet ports again, one is 2.5 gbps, WiFi5 capable, better wifi range). My bigger question now is: What specifically would cause this? Ports are forwarded, my VPN does not break (it is very sensitive and typically hates 4g hotspots), and my Avaya VOIP has no issues. It would be great to go to Comcast and tell them where to look to resolve this.

(For background, I have been in broadcast engineering for the past 20 years and prior a Nortel Meridian 1 Option 86 Admin and am knowledgeable in Analog/Digital telephony and IP Transport (specifically with video). GV & SIP are both outside my knowledge base)

Thanks for any insight or thoughts!
-Jason

SteveInWA

I'm glad to hear you have the experience and technical background to tackle this - sadly, it's the exception in many cases here.

Thanks for eliminating the status of your Google accounts as the root cause.  Of course, that also eliminates what would have been a clear problem to fix.   >:(

I hate to be Captain Obvious here, but there is something wrong with your home network setup.  I'm not a Xfinity subscriber, but several friends are.  They have older gateways, which work fine with OBiTALK equipment and Google Voice.

You mentioned a VPN.  Don't try to run the OBi through any sort of VPN.  Also, there should be no reason to open any ports.  Of course, I don't know the unique particulars of your new router, but in general, residential routers work fine with their default settings.  The list of ports you referenced is probably outdated anyhow, as it dates back to the Google "Chat" XMPP era, which is long gone.  Google Voice now uses SIP and TLS.

I suppose it's possible that Xfinity has blocked some ports used by SIP VoIP, but again, I have no idea.  They typically don't do that.

These are the actual ports used:  https://support.google.com/a/answer/9206518

I'd personally just start all over:  restore factory defaults on your gateway, temporarily remove everything from your LAN and plug into the Gateway just the OBI's Ethernet cable.  The OBi itself should also be restored to factory defaults if you haven't already done so, and don't make any "expert mode" changes, aside from setting its DNS servers to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google's high-performance DNS).

If that works, then you can work from there, adding equipment.

jholme004

Thanks Steve.

The VPN is in reference to the VPN client on my work laptop; in contrast the Avaya phone is configured using STUN.

First, I removed the GV lines from the Obi, then removed the Obi from ObiTalk. Then I went into GV and removed the Obi. After that I factory reset EVERYTHING. (My Xfinity Home Security and the family sure weren't happy - the home security took the longest to get over the reset).

I went into the Obi locally and set DNS1= 8.8.8.8 & DNS2=4.2.2.2 (Poly Support told me use the 4.2.2.2, I would think Google DNS would be better though). Since this is a service device, I typically like to give them a static IP out of the DHCP range...do you see any issues with that?

Added the Obi back to my ObiTalk Account. Then added GV1 to SP1 - "CONNECTED". Placed rest call to my company's out of state Automated Attendant - All good. Went back in and added GV2 to SP2 - "CONNECTED". Placed test call from GV2 (ph2) to GV1 (ph1) - All good. It's been cooking about a half hour and so far so good. (I'm afraid to even look at the obi device!)

I'll post back tomorrow to let you know if it has been stable.  Thanks again for all your help!

(Now off to get my security cameras back on-line - they are on a private subnet for the security system, so I do not anticipate any issues)
-Jason

SteveInWA

I went into the Obi locally and set DNS1= 8.8.8.8 & DNS2=4.2.2.2 (Poly Support told me use the 4.2.2.2, I would think Google DNS would be better though). Since this is a service device, I typically like to give them a static IP out of the DHCP range...do you see any issues with that?

No, that's wrong.  Do NOT use the OBi's local interface (do NOT try to manage the device from its IP address).  Use only the OBiTALK portal interface.  If you change something on the local UI, it will be overwritten by the portal, as soon as the device reboots.  And, Google Voice can only be managed via the portal.

Use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4  The IP address can be static.  Please resist the urge to tweak other settings.

Another problem:  calling into phone numbers that are answered by an IVR/auto-attendant may or may not work -- if not, it's not an OBi issue. 

jholme004

Is there another way to set the DNS on the Obi? I thought locally was the only way? That (and setting a static IP) would be the only things I would do in the local UI.

What is the issue with calling IVR/AA's?  Haven't heard of that before...

Everything is still holding and working well. The factory reset across all devices worked - Thanks for the guidance on that.
-Jason

drgeoff

Quote from: jholme004 on April 14, 2020, 02:45:56 PM
Is there another way to set the DNS on the Obi? I thought locally was the only way? That (and setting a static IP) would be the only things I would do in the local UI.
Use Expert Mode from your dashboard at obitalk.com.  Click the gearwheel containing a red E on the line for your OBi device.  If you see only a single gearwheel without red E, click on 'Edit Profile', scroll to the bottom and tick the box 'Enable Obi Expert Entry from Dashboard'.

The Expert mode has the same menus as the local one.  To change a setting both boxes at the right hand end of a line must be clear.  Click them as necessary to achieve that.  After making change(s) on a page click the 'Submit' button at the bottom.  The Obi will reboot.