News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Make GV number and local phone ring at the same time?

Started by BranS, April 23, 2020, 06:57:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BranS

I'm using a OBi202, with a Google Voice number that's set to ring a local phone, and is also being forwarded to a number on my cell device.

For the longest time, both the local phone and the google voice number would ring at the same time, until GV picked up the call for voicemail. This changed sometime late last year. Now, the local phone will ring once, stop, and then the GV forward starts ringing. The local phone does not indicate a missed call or any other indication that something happened, which it used to do.

Is there a way to restore the previous functionality, or was this a change to Google's end and that's the way it is?

SteveInWA

I don't understand the terminology you are using.  "Local phone" is vague.

Do you mean that an ordinary telephone is plugged into the phone jack on the OBi 202?  If so, then no, there have been no changes to Google Voice that would cause that behavior.  This sounds to me to be user error of some sort.

If we assume that your Google Voice configuration shows the OBi 200 Service Provider (SP1, for example) in the "My devices" section, and your mobile phone number in the "linked numbers" section, then, when someone calls your Google Voice number, both the OBi-attached telephone and the cell phone should ring at approximately the same time.  One may start ringing a few seconds before the other, but the behavior you describe isn't normal.

Scroll down to the "Incoming calls" section.  The OBi SP and the cell phone number should both be toggled on.

Jackson

Have you changed your cell phone carrier?  I had a similar problem when I switched from AT&T to Verizon.

BranS

Yes, by local phone I mean the phone that's plugged into the Obi box.

I figured out why it's doing it, but I don't know why it's doing it. I had three devices plugged into the box. A telephone, an alarm dialer that used the through output of the telephone, and a dial-in automation controller. The phone/dialer was on one port, the automation controller on the other.

Yesterday, doing some network rack cleanup, I decided the alarm dialer was no longer serving it's purpose and removed it from the system. Today, the phone connected to that port rings as normal. As the alarm dialer is incapable of picking up the line unless it rings something like 20 times, I have to assume that it was somehow suppressing the phone's ability to ring. Why this is happening, I have no idea.

Problem solved, but who knows why it did what it did.