News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Is this item equivalent to the OBIWIFI5G adapter?

Started by shauntel_evans, April 28, 2020, 07:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shauntel_evans

Hello there,

I read that by installing OBIWIFI5G dongle, I can run my WiFi through OBITALK.

It seems clear that I still need to pay my ISP (the vile Altice with its vile service) for internet service, but I am wondering:

(1) If you have installed the dongle, how would you rate its WiFi compared to your ISP's WiFi?; and
(2) If the item shown in the attachment (from an eBay seller) does the same thing(s) as the OBI product, or is perhaps even better because it appears to be newer?

If I am completely off-base about these two items being equivalent, please let me know so I don't purchase a useless gadget.

I spoke with Obi support and asked the rep why it was difficult to find sellers of the OBWIFI5G. She said that "it is going to be discontinued." When I asked why, she replied that, "Not many people have bought it." Should these statements concern me?

Many thanks!

drgeoff

That item is unlikely to work when plugged in to an OBi.

All such dongles require a driver and the firmware in OBis only recognises the original OBi branded WiFi (2.4 GHz only) and the newer branded version which supports 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.  Unlike a PC, OBis have is no facility to install additional drivers.

Please remove the other five copies of your post.

shauntel_evans

Thank you for your reply. I neglected to mention that the dongle comes with a CD for installation. Does that alter your opinion.

First, I would LOVE to remove duplicate posts but I can't find them! Can you assist in helping me locate them and I will delete immediately.

Second, I want to apologize and explain that I had no idea that ANY of my attempts to post were successful. I recd error msgs (6 times).

Thanks so much!

drgeoff

Which part of "OBis have no facility to install additional drivers." do you not understand?

SteveInWA

It seems clear that I still need to pay my ISP (the vile Altice with its vile service) for internet service, but I am wondering:

(1) If you have installed the dongle, how would you rate its WiFi compared to your ISP's WiFi?;

As DrGeoff already explained, but in stronger language:  NO, you cannot use a third-party WiFi dongle, under any circumstances whatsoever, to connect an OBiTALK device to a network.

Aside from that, what the heck are you even trying to do?  Your post, quoted above, makes no sense.  You can't get Internet service magically over thin air, without an Internet Service Provider connection.