News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

New OBI200 setup with apparent home wiring issue

Started by DRJD, October 26, 2020, 03:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRJD

Hello, I'm excited about the possibility of using this device with GV but I'm off to a slow start.  Following the Quick Start Guide, I've plugged one end of my ethernet cable into the back of my router and the other end into the OBI200.  With the phone cable, I've plugged one end into the back of my DSL modem's phone jack and the other end into the OBI200.  The phone line icon's LED blinks green.  When I disconnect the phone line, it stops and the LED is not lit.  I suspect I have a home phone wiring issue since I recently had the DSL provider disconnect my landline phone service.  I have pictures (one herein) of the outside network box where the paired DSL lines are hooked up.  The blue and blue/white pair as well as the orange and orange/white pairs (upper right) are hooked up to the wiring going inside the house.  I suspect I need to do something to avoid the "off the hook" scenario I'm seeing but don't know what to do.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

drgeoff

1. Plug a phone directly into the PHONE socket of the OBi200.

2. If you want to use the house phone wiring find someone locally who understands phone wiring.

Sheffield_Steve

Don't connect the Obi to the home wiring until you are absolutely sure that it's been disconnected from the Telephone company.

If you don't there is a good chance you will fry the Obi.

azrobert

QuoteI've plugged one end into the back of my DSL modem's phone jack and the other end into the OBI200.

You shouldn't be connecting your OBi200 to the DSL modem. You need to isolate your home wiring from the DSL equipment. Disconnecting the orange and blue pairs from the junction box "SHOULD" accomplish this. Make sure not to short these wires. Wrap the ends with electrical tape and/or cut off the exposed wires. Now just plug the phone cord from the OBi200 into a wall jack.

Disclaimer: I'm not a wiring expert, but I did connect my OBi200 to my home wiring with a similar procedure.

Edit:
If you need to plug a phone into the same jack, use a splitter.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RJ11-Jack-2-Way-Outlet-Telephone-Phone-Modular-Line-Splitter-Plug-Adapter-6P4C/124123257917?hash=item1ce6529c3d:g:nOIAAOSwg0dec3Fd