News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

static IP, selection of DNS serves.

Started by sportflyer, January 05, 2021, 03:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sportflyer

What should I enter as DNS servers when I am setting up a static IP in OBI200? I will be using the web GUI. Tks

drgeoff

Quote from: sportflyer on January 05, 2021, 03:56:28 PM
What should I enter as DNS servers when I am setting up a static IP in OBI200? I will be using the web GUI. Tks
Typically when an OBi (or almost any other device on your home network) gets its IP parameters by DHCP the DNS address it gets will be the same as the gateway address it gets. That is the LAN side IP address of the router.  So doing the same when configuring static addresses will give the same result.

Or you can opt to choose differently and use a server on the public internet.  For example a Google server at 8.8.8.8.  Or you can have both your local router and a remote one on the public internet.

sportflyer

So I dont really have to specify any DNS server , or safer to enter a public server like 8.8.8.8

Taoman

Quote from: sportflyer on January 05, 2021, 06:01:37 PM
So I dont really have to specify any DNS server , or safer to enter a public server like 8.8.8.8

FWIW, I've been using 8.8.8.8 as primary and 8.8.4.4 as secondary for quite awhile on multiple OBi devices without issue.