News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Problem getting IP<>PSTN to work

Started by Gillburt, February 02, 2021, 02:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gillburt

Good evening everyone, and thank you in advance for your help.

I am based in the UK and have purchase a Obi212.
I have connected it up to my network, and my PSTN (BT landline, BT FTTC, Homehub router)
To the Obi, I have connected a Panasonic DECT phone with a hardwired base unit.
I have a Grandstream GXP1610 and picks up an IP address.

I have performed a factory reset on the Obi.
I get all the necessary green lights on the fron of the box.
It gets an IP address too.

I am able to telephone in and out using my normal Panasonic phones. That's all fine.
I am not looking to make any VOIP telephone calls to the big wide world.

What I want to have happen is:
Incoming calls ring on all phones
I can dial out using the IP phone using the PSTN.

I have tried configuring the Obi using the digit mappings suggested on these forums for the UK.
When I pick up the IP handset I hear a dial tone, but when I call a number I get NO RESPONSE
I cannot get the Obi to register with the ObiTalk website
I cannot dial **9-222-222-222 (their suggested next step), getting the message, no dial plans matched.

I have checked the firewall on my BT Smart Hub, it is allowing all outgoing ports and blocking unsolicited incoming. Games and application sharing is allowed.
SIP ALG is disabled.

Calls from the landline phones appear in the Obi call log, but there is nothing for the IP Phone.

I am now at a loss to what to do....
I suspect it's something fundamental... and that the smoking gun is that I cannot even dial **9.... but as as noob to VOIP stuff, I don't want to go around poking at things and disappear down a hole.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

drgeoff

The "suggested next step" of dialling **9 222 222 222 should work from the Panasonic phone(s) on the OBi212's PHONE port.  No change from default configuration of the OBi212 required.  No need to do anything with firewall or port forwarding on the BTHomeHub.  (I'm in the UK with an Obi110 and never had any issue with it working on BTHomeHubs 1, 2, 3, 4, 6B, 6X).

If you mean that you can't get the **9 222 222 222 to work from the Grandstream, that is a whole different ball game.  Have a read of http://web.archive.org/web/20160317011451/http://www.obihai.com/docs/OBi-VoIP-Device-Attach-Legacy-IP-Phone-Workbook-v1-0.pdf.  First thing to ascertain is whether you can get the Grandstream SIP registered to the OBi212.

Gillburt

Thanks for the link.

Managed to dial the obi echo service using the analogue phone connected to the obi212.
So thank you for that.

But that's the only progress made.
Given I cannot get the obi222 to register on the obitalk platform, how else can I tell if the grand stream is connecting?

drgeoff

Quote from: Gillburt on February 02, 2021, 03:46:57 PM
Thanks for the link.

Managed to dial the obi echo service using the analogue phone connected to the obi212.
So thank you for that.

But that's the only progress made.
Given I cannot get the obi222 to register on the obitalk platform, how else can I tell if the grand stream is connecting?
There is a known issue with adding any OBi to a dashboard at obitalk.com.  Most people eventually succeed though it may take many tens of attempts.

However, you don't need to add your OBi212 to the portal as you can do all your configuration by pointing a browser to the OBi's IP address on your LAN and logging in with admin and admin.  If you don't already know the IP address dial ***1 from the Panasonic phone.

Gillburt

Cool.

Already done that and managed to upload the xml file for uk mapping
So, in a way, that brings us up to date with the core issue, namely cannot get the up side of things to work

An immediate question that springs to mind....Should I be able to see the ip phone when I'm in the obi212 admin pages?

Thanks for all you help so far, btw

drgeoff

Quote from: Gillburt on February 02, 2021, 04:26:15 PM
An immediate question that springs to mind....Should I be able to see the ip phone when I'm in the obi212 admin pages?
No.

An ATA (which your OBi212 is) is an Analogue Telephone Adaptor.  Intended to connect analogue phone(s) and POTS/PSTN lines to Internet Telephony Service Providers.  They were not primarily designed to support IP phones.

You should look to your Grandstream to see if it has successfully registered to the 212.

azrobert

When you login to your OBi212 via the local adapter, you will be directed to the System Status page.
If your phone is registered, under the SPx will show something like:
Registration Not Required (Local Client <IP address of your phone>)

If your phone isn't registering, try:
Setting your phone to call without registration
and
On the OBi212: Uncheck X_Proxy

Some devices unable to register is a known problem, at least known to the forum. This problem has been around for years.

Gillburt

Thank you both for you help, and asking questions which have pushed my research in the right direction.

Now, when I make an incoming call from my mobile to the pstn, and watch the call status page, I can see the Obi saying that both the Line and Phone ports are ringing.

However, only the analogue phone actually rings
Equally I cannot make outgoing calls on the IP phone

So, it would suggest that the IP Phone isn't linking to the Obi, for whatever reason.
So, I'm going to try and work that out.

If you have any suggestions, they would be appreciated, but I will keep trying out stuff myself in the meantime.

Onwards...

Gillburt

Quote from: azrobert on February 02, 2021, 07:23:37 PM

If your phone is registered, under the SPx will show something like:
Registration Not Required (Local Client <IP address of your phone>)

No, I don't see that.

Quote from: azrobert on February 02, 2021, 07:23:37 PM
If your phone isn't registering, try:
Setting your phone to call without registration
and
On the OBi212: Uncheck X_Proxy

tried that, and rebooted, but nothing.

no sign of the phone in the obi.
in the phone, it says SIP not registered, even if i tell it call without registration.

For clarification, I am only connecting the Obi to my network using the Internet port, which connects to a switch, into which is also connected the BT Hub (Internet).
My IP phone is also connected into this physical network.

The IP Phone and the Obi are on the same network range, using the same DHCP server and subnet etc etc.

My brain is boggled now.

azrobert

Are you running the OBi212 in Bridge mode?

Post the config changes you made on the OBi212 and the phone.

azrobert

A config example:

OBi212

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile D SIP -> ProxyServer: 127.0.0.1
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile D SIP -> X_SpoofCallerID: Checked
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile D SIP -> X_Proxy: Unchecked
Voice Services -> SP4 Service -> X_ServProvProfile: D
Voice Services -> SP4 Service -> AuthUserName: GXP1610
Voice Services -> SP4 Service -> X_RegisterEnable: (unchecked)
Voice Services -> SP4 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute:
{GXP1610>(Msp1):sp1}

Physical Interfaces -> Line Port-> InboundCallRoute:
ph,sp4(GXP1610@yy.yy.yy.yy:pppp)

Replace yy.yy.yy.yy:pppp with the IP address and port of the GXP1610

IP Phone:
Proxy: 192.168.1.100  (IP address of the OBi212)
Proxy Port: 5063     (X_UserAgentPort of OBi212 SP4 trunk)
UserID: GXP1610
Password: anything

Gillburt

Quote from: azrobert on February 03, 2021, 11:03:39 AM
A config example:

OBi212

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile D SIP -> ProxyServer: 127.0.0.1
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile D SIP -> X_SpoofCallerID: Checked
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile D SIP -> X_Proxy: Unchecked
Voice Services -> SP4 Service -> X_ServProvProfile: D
Voice Services -> SP4 Service -> AuthUserName: GXP1610
Voice Services -> SP4 Service -> X_RegisterEnable: (unchecked)
Voice Services -> SP4 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute:

Physical Interfaces -> Line Port-> InboundCallRoute:
ph,sp4(GXP1610@yy.yy.yy.yy:pppp)

Replace yy.yy.yy.yy:pppp with the IP address and port of the GXP1610

IP Phone:
Proxy: 192.168.1.100  (IP address of the OBi212)
Proxy Port: 5063     (X_UserAgentPort of OBi212 SP4 trunk)
UserID: GXP1610
Password: anything

Brilliant - thank you, that was exactly what I needed to mentally join the dots.
Incoming calls are now working.

Hopefully outgoing won't be too difficult to work out.

;D ;D

Gillburt

Ha, famous last words.
Cannot get outbound call to work.

I get a 404 not found message on the phone.
What config information do I need to post on here to help ?

drgeoff

Quote from: Gillburt on February 07, 2021, 11:06:26 AM
Ha, famous last words.
Cannot get outbound call to work.

I get a 404 not found message on the phone.
What config information do I need to post on here to help ?
The example that azrobert gave you is for making calls using the 212's SP1, not its LINE port.

Try changing

to

{GXP1610>(Mli):li}

RonLynnwood

Hi everyone!  Just also wanted to chime in about what a PoS the registration is, can't get my device added either.

Also, go to "FAQ", then "Troubleshooting", then "Add Device does not work when doing **5 during OBiTALK set-up."

This says

Add Device does not work when doing **5 during OBiTALK set-up.
Please follow the Self-Troubleshooting Guide: http://www.obihai.com/support/troubleshooting/trs1-3

Go to that link.  Some excellent advice there!    ;D

if that Add Device page remained the same, does not change within the span of 180-Secs countdown, with pop-message remained, please re-input the same code again (**5 1234) after 10-Secs to 15-Secs.

If the first 10-Secs to 15-Secs round and page remained, please repeat the same code **5 1234. If that 180-Secs countdown ends with Add Device page unchanged, please wait up to 2-minutes and try Add Device again.

Hmm, speaka da English?  Apparently not.  What is this BS trying to say.  Who knows, probably makes no difference.

drgeoff

@RonLynnwood

There are umpteen other threads about the **5 issue. Why have you hijacked this one which is totally unconnected?