News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Trouble activating second device

Started by vtpilot, February 20, 2021, 09:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtpilot

I have been using a 1062 phone for a while now and wanted to add a second device (a 202) to provide connectivity in another room but cannot get the thing to activate for the life of me.  The echo call works fine and I can make calls between the devices using the Obi number without issue but when I try to activate it using the **5 <code> the calls goes through but nothing seems to happen.  Both devices are in the same subnet and are behind a pfSense firewall.  I have been wrestling with this for about a week and have tried everything I have found in the forums including ensuring that they are using a public DNS server, validating that there are no firewall rules preventing the connection, I've unplugged the 1062 and tried the 202 as the only device on the network and have been monkeying with NAT rules to see if they are an issue but nothing has allowed me to activate the 202.  I am at a loss with this thing, any suggestions?

drgeoff

There are umpteen posts including several on the first page of this section of the forum with titles that should draw your attention.

azrobert

Quote from: vtpilot on February 20, 2021, 09:23:59 PM
I can make calls between the devices using the Obi number without issue

I thought the device must be added to the dashboard to be able to send or receive calls over the OBitalk network.

drgeoff

Quote from: azrobert on February 21, 2021, 02:37:45 PM
Quote from: vtpilot on February 20, 2021, 09:23:59 PM
I can make calls between the devices using the Obi number without issue

I thought the device must be added to the dashboard to be able to send or receive calls over the OBitalk network.
I think not necessary, but given the current issue with adding to dashboard I'm not going to remove a device to prove one way or the other.

AFAIK the echo test uses the Obitalk network in the standard way and that can be reached with an OBi straight out of the box.

GeeObi

Sounds to me like the 202 is already connected to the Obitalk network.
Did you buy it used? If so, contact the previous owner and ask them to remove it from their Obitalk account.

drgeoff

Quote from: GeeObi on February 21, 2021, 06:57:02 PM
Sounds to me like the 202 is already connected to the Obitalk network.
Did you buy it used? If so, contact the previous owner and ask them to remove it from their Obitalk account.
Doesn't sound like that to me. When a device is already registered to a different obitalk account, the **5nnnn procedure normally elicits an explicit response to that effect.

GeeObi

That's only true when the servers are up.

drgeoff

Quote from: GeeObi on February 22, 2021, 01:30:23 AM
That's only true when the servers are up.
That is why I put the word "normally" in my sentence.

The OP's issue is almost certainly the same "unable to add" one that has been ongoing for months.