News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Use This Work Around For **5 Device Registration Issues

Started by TechCowboy, February 26, 2021, 07:52:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TechCowboy

Hello!  With the recent rolling power outages from the frigid weather in TX, my OBI202 went into a bad state.  Like a dope, I removed it from my OBiTALK account not knowing about the issues with the **5 service.

I purchased the device five years ago and recently updated my router, so I wasn't sure if it was the router or the service that was the issue.  I spent several hours working through and decided to contact support.

First off, you can check the status of the service and any upcoming maintenance here:

https://status.obitalk.com

Even though it says there are no issues today, the service still did not work.  I wouldn't fully trust that this is accurate at this point.

Here is the link to the support contact form.

https://www.poly.com/us/en/support/contact/email-support#

Fill out the fields in the form and ensure you select "Obi Consumer" in the product family dropdown list.

Include your OBI number and your OBiTALK account email, along with a request to manually register the device since **5 is not working.  This will eliminate the back and forth with the care agent.

Once you receive an email that the registration is complete, setup your Google Voice, E911, or whatever service you choose through the web portal.

I hope this saves you all some time and brain cells.  I think I lost a few in the process! ;) Good luck!

Shatnes

Thank you for your detailed post as to how to proceed. I sent an email to support last night and hopefully I will get an answer by Monday.

I am using a ObiWIFI5G wireless adapter so the ethernet link led is not on. I am assuming that is not an issue because I get the echo from **9 222 222 222.

When I click on the OBi Dashboard, it shows a device Soft Phone with the number 290 463 825. I am not sure what the number is because it is not Obi No. on the back of my Obi 200. If anyone knows what that is, plese reply

drgeoff

Quote from: Shatnes on February 27, 2021, 06:42:12 AM
Thank you for your detailed post as to how to proceed. I sent an email to support last night and hopefully I will get an answer by Monday.

I am using a ObiWIFI5G wireless adapter so the ethernet link led is not on. I am assuming that is not an issue because I get the echo from **9 222 222 222.

When I click on the OBi Dashboard, it shows a device Soft Phone with the number 290 463 825. I am not sure what the number is because it is not Obi No. on the back of my Obi 200. If anyone knows what that is, plese reply
Every obitalk.com account gets a 9 digit OBi number for optional use with a softphone.  A softphone is a computer/tablet/smartphone program that makes the device function as an IP phone.  At one time Obihai made available 3 such pieces of software.  One for each of Windows PC, Android, and iOS.  By configuring with the softphone number the device could call and answer over the Obitalk network.  The softwares are no longer readily available for download and the sections of the forum that had some information on the were removed some years ago..  The Android version stopped working somewhere between Android 4.2.2 and 7.0.  The Windows version still works on Windows 10.

In summary, 99.9% of Obihai owners can and do just ignore that entry on their dashboard. There is an option to hide it.

Shatnes

Thank you drgeoff for your detailed explanation of the softphone number.

You did not comment on me using the ObiWIFI5G wireless adapter and the ethernet link led is not on, so I am assuming that it isn't an issue.

I am still trying to link my OBi200 to the server. Hopefully Poly support will help me out on Monday.

drgeoff

Quote from: Shatnes on February 27, 2021, 06:42:12 AM
If the echo test works your OBi is reaching the internet OK.