News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Cannot make Obi-to-Obi calls on Obi2182s

Started by FlintstoneGummy, March 15, 2021, 12:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlintstoneGummy

I just bought a pair of Obi2182s and have them in different rooms in my house (same wifi network).

I cannot make Obi-to-Obi calls between them, ie. **9+9 digit Obi Number results in the dreaded "invalid number" tone and gives me a "Call failed 900" error message.

Oddly enough **9 222 222 222 works just fine.

Any thoughts?

GeeObi

FlintstoneGummy

I think so. How do I check?

EDIT: Google Voice is set up on both via the Obitalk portal, so I guess the answer is yes?

SteveInWA

You need to assign one of the left or right line keys (buttons) to OBiTALK.  The OBiTALK portal's device configuration page for the phone only displays line keys 1-6.  If you want to configure it on one of those keys, great.  If you want to configure it on one of the 4 other pages of line keys, then you'll need to use OBi Expert Mode, under IP Phone-->Left Line Keys or IP Phone-->Right Line Keys.

See my screenshot below, which defines key 7 for OBiTALK.

FlintstoneGummy

Thank you. Tried that. Right-side line keys now assigned to Obitalk on both devices. Same issue. It attempts to dial, and then 20-30 seconds later, errors out and gives me a "Call failed: 900".

Logged into the phone itself's web interface. See below. Just "call ended". No "ringing". No "call connected".

FlintstoneGummy

Weird. The Obitalk button just turned orange for a few seconds, and could receive, but not make calls from the other phone. Now it stopped working again.

SteveInWA

Are you using the OBiTALK device configuration portal?  If you are making changes on the local web UI, then, unless you have purposefully disabled using it on your two phones, then whenever the phones are power-cycled or rebooted, the portal will overwrite the local changes.

FlintstoneGummy

Always the portal. Too afraid to use the Expert Mode.

SteveInWA

Go ahead and use Expert Mode.

The line key configuration settings via the portal for the OBi 2000 series are a mess, and the only reliable way to do it is via Expert mode.

Look carefully at my screenshot.  Note that you must first un-check both boxes to the right of a parameter's value to enable editing.  After you edit the values, scroll down to the bottom of the page and submit, and wait at least 5 minutes.

drgeoff

Granted I have not tested with an OBi2182 but I have done the test with an OBi1032 and it is not necessary to have a LINE key assigned to the Obitalk service to make or receive **9 type calls.

Certainly an OBi2182 can make **9 type calls without such a LINE key as the OP has already proved by successfully calling the echo test number.

Therefore I strongly suspect that the problem lies elsewhere and that assigning a LINE key to the Obitalk Service will not bring a solution.  (Conversely, successfully configuring such a key will not make the problem any worse.)

Is there anything unusual about the OP's network, such as a firewall over and above that found in a typical home router?

azrobert

Don't use the OBiTalk network to route the call, use your local network.
Define following on both devices using OBi Expert:
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile D -> SIP -> ProxyServer: xx.xx.xx.xx  (IPaddress of other 2182)
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile D -> SIP -> ProxyServerPort: 3083
Voice Services -> SP4 Service -> AuthUserName: anything
Voice Services -> SP4 Service -> X_RegisterEnable: unchecked
Voice Services -> SP4 Service -> X_ServProvProfile: D
Voice Services -> SP4 Service -> X_UserAgentPort: 3083

Now define a speed dial number: sp4(0)

Or define a Line Key to send zero to SP4

drgeoff

Quote from: azrobert on March 16, 2021, 09:24:21 AM
Don't use the OBiTalk network to route the call, use your local network.
Define following on both devices using OBi Expert:
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile D -> SIP -> ProxyServer: xx.xx.xx.xx  (IPaddress of other 2182)
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile D -> SIP -> ProxyServerPort: 3083
Voice Services -> SP4 Service -> AuthUserName: anything
Voice Services -> SP4 Service -> X_RegisterEnable: unchecked
Voice Services -> SP4 Service -> X_ServProvProfile: D
Voice Services -> SP4 Service -> X_UserAgentPort: 3083

Now define a speed dial number: sp4(0)

Or define a Line Key to send zero to SP4

Yes but it doesn't address the fact that using the Obitalk network to call between two OBis on the same LAN (with internet access) should work.  It does for me. Not just today but many times in the past using OBi110, OBi200, Obi202 and OBi1032.

Lavarock7

On my 2182 I have a button under the display called LINES. I press that, scroll down to OBITALK and press select. Then dial. Yes, I also assigned a left-hand button for OBITALK.

I am able to successfully dial a friend's Obi200 adapter thousands of miles away with just his Obi number. Neither of us has restricted inbound OBI connections.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

SteveInWA

Yes, you can make outbound **9 OBiTALK calls on a 2182 with no configuration required.  But, you do need to assign a "line presence" key to the OBiTALK service to receive inbound calls on that phone.