News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Question about E911 - Should I get it and if so which one?

Started by polarfrog, March 17, 2021, 08:14:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polarfrog

I'm in the process of porting my home phone into Google Voice and should be completed tomorrow.  

In the meantime I'm trying to determine if I need to get E911 service and if so, which one?

We rely mostly on our cell phones and use the home phone as a convenience.  Since both cell phones, my wife's and mine, have E911 do I really need E911 on the home phone?  Is it required?

If I should or must get it, which one?  Is 911+, the one ObiTalk is recommending, fine?  Or should I be looking at Anveo or Callcentric?

Help appreciated!

Thanks

Larry

Arizona480

Hi Larry, I use the CallCentric for the E911 which comes included with any calling plan.  I use the inbound for $1.00 plan.  Total bill, $2.50 a month.  This not only gives me an outbound number for my security system which gives me options for monitoring, but it also gives me a "concierge calling" number for when I want to dial numbers from google voice accounts to be connected with my home phone (I can explain this more).

As for a landline vs cell phone for 911 calling at home, since a landline is more convenient:  think about having an emergency when you are half awake trying to remember where you last left your phone (especially if a fire or break in and the cell phone is in an area where you can't get to), hoping it's charged, having to mess with the unlock-code or pattern when you are scared or freaked out.  I can just grab a portable handset from any room and it's good to go.

polarfrog

Thank you for the response Arizona!

Sounds like you have a pretty good setup!

For now, at least to get started, I think I'd like to stick with the basic GV and decide if I want to add E911 to that.

Obviously you're happy with the CallCentric service.  I still wonder how it compares to the 911+ service and also whether I'm required to have E911 on my ObiTalk GV number?

Thanks again,

Larry

rjniles

You are not required to have 911 on you GV line but IMO it is a good idea.

I use GV911.com, $12 a year.

polarfrog

Thank you rjniles!  

That's very helpful!  I agree that it's a good idea!

Do you or Arizona have any experience or insight with 911+?

Thanks again,

Larry

polarfrog

SteveInWA

Ask yourself this:  Is risking my life worth saving a couple of dollars a month for E911 service?

I agree that relying on a cell phone that may or may not be charged/working/within reach is not a good idea, compared with always having 911 available on your OBi-attached phones.

Arizona480

Quote from: polarfrog on March 17, 2021, 12:03:30 PM
Thank you for the response Arizona!

Sounds like you have a pretty good setup!

For now, at least to get started, I think I'd like to stick with the basic GV and decide if I want to add E911 to that.

Obviously you're happy with the CallCentric service.  I still wonder how it compares to the 911+ service and also whether I'm required to have E911 on my ObiTalk GV number?

Thanks again,

Larry

I've never used the standalone E911 service as having the CC number automatically included E911 (you have to pay for it anyway for at least one # on your account) and CC ends up being $30 a year vs the $25 for the others but for the $5 more I get the phone number to go with it.  E911 is not required with Obitalk as they warn you about the lack of 911 unless you sign up and provide the service yourself on all of the devices.  

polarfrog

Thank you both, Arizona and SteveInWa for your feedback!

Arizona, I'm looking into the CC setup!

Steve, I can see you're pretty busy, but could I impose one more time to ask if you have any experience or insight into the 911+ vs any other 911 service?

Thanks again!

Larry

Arizona480

Quote from: polarfrog on March 17, 2021, 04:07:02 PM
Thank you both, Arizona and SteveInWa for your feedback!

Arizona, I'm looking into the CC setup!

Steve, I can see you're pretty busy, but could I impose one more time to ask if you have any experience or insight into the 911+ vs any other 911 service?

Thanks again!

Larry

Excellent, you are welcome!  I test the CC 911 Address Verification (933) a few times a week randomly and I have always received a response and an email that I called.  My mom uses the same setup and I will get a email notification if she calls 911 or 933 which is nice to have in case something happens and emergency services does not contact me.

SteveInWA

I have not used the 911 service offered by Poly.  I use Callcentric.  This isn't like comparing the service on Delta, Alaska, or American Airlines.  It is simply E911 service.

I have been a Callcentric customer for around a decade.  They're a very well-established and reliable company, and they are one of the very few Internet Telephone Service Providers that is also a Federally-regulated Local Exchange Carrier.  I trust them because I know their track record, and I know that they have an actual business in New York with a real street address.

You can sign up for their "North America Basic" outbound plan, which, for $1.95/month, gives you E911 service and 120 minutes of calling.  That's handy if you have a temporary problem with Google Voice, and it is only 45 cents per month more than their E911-only service.

That's slightly cheaper than the OBi/PunchAlert $24.95 fee, and you get some calling minutes thrown in.

https://www.callcentric.com/rate/plans/north_america_basic/

polarfrog

Steve, thank you for that!  
Really, very helpful!

Thanks,

Larry

polarfrog