News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

forward land line calls to obi (GV number)?

Started by jsgoti, November 02, 2011, 11:41:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsgoti

If I were to forward calls placed to my land line number to my GV number, would my obi handle the call and ring the phone connected to it (GV is set up as SP1 on the Obi)? 

The reason I ask is that my land line provider is not eligible for number porting into GV (didn't know to check that first before buying Obi).  I'm open to other workarounds that enable me to retain my land line number but convert to a fully Obi/ GV solution. Or is my only option to get a new number from a SIP (e.g. Callcentric) and tell everyone my number has changed?  thanks for any suggestions...

Stewart

In what city is your present landline number?

RonR

jsgoti,

If you have your PSTN provider forward all calls to your Google Voice number, they will simply be incoming Google Voice calls and the OBi will process them accordingly.

The only question is whether in forwarding those calls, will the original caller's CallerID be preserved or will all calls forwarded to your Google Voice number from your PSTN provider have your PSTN number as the CallerID.  Enable call forwarding on your PSTN number and find out.

Stewart

Do you have an OBi110?  If so, you can connect the landline to the Line port of your OBi and would normally have no need for forwarding.

If you have OBi100 or have a special need for forwarding, there should be no problem with the caller ID number, at least on domestic calls.  However, forwarding to GV will cause the caller's name to be lost.

bbarker

Can you port your landline number to a prepaid cell phone?  If you can, then you should be able to port from the cell phone to Google Voice.  This is what I did and it only took a few days to get it all done.