News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice- Will it be free in 2012?

Started by fuzzyeddie, November 18, 2011, 08:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzzyeddie

Has Google announced if the service will remain free? I haven't seen anything posted on the Google Voice blog: http://googlevoiceblog.blogspot.com/
Now that Google Voice will no longer work with your Obi device, sign up for Vestalink! Cheap, unlimited plans: http://www.vestalink.com/#_l_7t

DrJay

Google never announces future plans or services in advance.  When they change things they usually make the announcement on the same day that it takes effect.

kthejoker20

if its not, it will still be really cheap.

Cheaper than any viop out there, so either way, your ok.

Stewart

Quote from: kthejoker20 on November 24, 2011, 10:46:52 PM
if its not, it will still be really cheap.
Cheaper than any viop out there, so either way, your ok.
That's not obvious.  IMO, if they bother to charge at all, it will be about $.01/min.  For a heavy user, flat-rate plans from e.g. VOIPo, Phonepower, MagicJack, netTALK, Ooma, VoxOx, Skype or TalkTT would be less expensive; most of those also include 911 and/or decent support.  A moderate user might prefer e.g. Localphone at $0.99/mo.+$0.005/min.  There are a huge number of options in the $0.01/min. range and many reasons why a user might choose one or more of them over GV.

Reuven

It may be a monthly subscription fee rather than per minute.

Felix

Quote from: Stewart on November 24, 2011, 11:09:33 PM
A moderate user might prefer e.g. Localphone at $0.99/mo.+$0.005/min.
Why "$0.99/mo.+$0.005/min"? I just signed up (honestly, to try and play), and it's $0/mo + $0.00/min for call to US. $0.99 is for DIDs (which I can get for free from IPKall if I don't care about area codes).

And, of course there are numerous Betamax companies that offer free calls to US along with many other countries.

So, FREE is certainly a big part of GV's appeal! Moreover, I am waiting for their 2012 announcement; if it's free - I am ordering another OBi; if not - I'll use my old Sipura ATA and SIP provider  :P

Stewart

Quote from: Felix on November 26, 2011, 04:15:04 PMWhy "$0.99/mo.+$0.005/min"? I just signed up (honestly, to try and play), and it's $0/mo + $0.00/min for call to US. $0.99 is for DIDs (which I can get for free from IPKall if I don't care about area codes).
The normal Localphone rate to most US destinations is $0.005/min.  They are running a Thanksgiving promotion through Sunday, so calls are currently free.  Also, calls to US toll-free numbers are always free.

You are correct about IPKall; based on current status shown at SIPBroker, an IPKall DID pointing to a Localphone account should work.  I included the cost of a local DID, to have a more fair comparison to GV (which of course has many more features but IMO much worst support).

IMO your Betamax comparison is misleading; US calls are only free if you spending enough on international calls to earn the required freedays.  For some folks, that's fine, but I (and IMO most people) prefer to spend a little more on international calls to get better quality, reliability and support.

Felix

Quote from: Stewart on November 26, 2011, 04:43:43 PM
The normal Localphone rate to most US destinations is $0.005/min.  They are running a Thanksgiving promotion through Sunday, so calls are currently free.  Also, calls to US toll-free numbers are always free.
I didn't realize this... Good to know!

Quote from: Stewart on November 26, 2011, 04:43:43 PMIMO your Betamax comparison is misleading; US calls are only free if you spending enough on international calls to earn the required freedays.  For some folks, that's fine, but I (and IMO most people) prefer to spend a little more on international calls to get better quality, reliability and support.
You are right; I should have mentioned that. In fact, my main international phone provider is call with us but I spend enough (10 euros in 4 months) on voipdiscount calls to qualify for freedays (mainly because they have access numbers all over the world). That said, I have always been happy with their call quality and reliability. Support is indeed non-existent, and payment methods may be very inconvenient.

Pianoman

YES, it will be FREE! I just confirmed by signing up for a new Gmail/GV account and this pop up appeared:

Call phones from Gmail

How does this work?
You can now place calls to landline and mobile phones from within Gmail. Just dial any phone number and you'll be connected. Learn more.

Rates
Calls to the U.S. and Canada are free in 2012. International calls are billed at our insanely low rates.

Emergency Calls
By clicking accept, you understand and agree that Google Voice is an enhanced call management application and that Google Voice is not capable of placing and receiving emergency service calls. Read the complete Terms of Service.

So there you have it. Enjoy another year of free Obi/GV telephony in 2012!  ;D

dazed

Just was on GV  and saw that too free for at least another year yes!!!

gobigred