News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Clarification on End of Service details for OBi200 series models

Started by Shplad, December 22, 2022, 07:26:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shplad

Hi everyone:

Just to clarify....

What does engineering support ending mean exactly?

- No firmware updates/fixes?
- No technical support

And the operational stuff means an
- OBi2xx in that list won't work with Obitalk's network
- Can't be configured through the OBitalk portal BUT should still work fine on third party ITSPs
- Can only be configured locally?

Have I got all that right?

If so, can I just import my Obitalk portal settings profile directly into my OBi device, without the portal?

Dale

videobruce

How about an answer to the OP's question 11 months ago which didn't include anything about GV)?
Especially since we are getting down to the supposed EOL date.  ???
I'll take VoIP any day over cell phones !

videobruce

This isn't exactly new, but I found this announcement buried in OBiTalk's site regarding this EOL/EOS deal in 5 weeks from now. What caught my eye is;
not being able to be provisioned via OBiTALK and
can only be managed and provisioned locally (manually)

Also the term "service" not "support" which I misunderstood.  >:( ;

QuoteDecember 18th, 2021
*** Important notice to OBiTALK customers***

Summary: OBi200, OBi202 and OBi212 have entered the End of Life phase with the following key milestones:
    End of Sale date is December 18, 2021 (as supplies last)
    End of Engineering Support is December 18, 2023.
    End of Service date is December 18, 2023.

OBi200, OBi202 and OBi212 products have entered the End of Sale phase with the last day of sale of these products to be December 18, 2021 (as supplies last).
The End of Engineering support date and the End of Service date for all OBi200, OBi202 and OBi212 products will be December 18, 2023.

OBiTALK calling service will continue to be supported for the OBi200, OBi202 and OBi212 until December 18, 2023.

OBi200, OBi202 and OBi212 devices may continue to work after the end of service date, but they will not be able to get added to the Google Voice service after December 18, 2023.

OBi200, OBi202 and OBi212 devices registered prior to the End of Engineering Support date won't be able to be provisioned via OBiTALK after the December 18, 2023 and can only be managed and provisioned locally (manually).

The page is here;
https://www.obitalk.com/info/products/obi202

drgeoff

Quote from: Shplad on December 22, 2022, 07:26:36 AM.. can I just import my Obitalk portal settings profile directly into my OBi device, without the portal?
If before 18 December (or whatever date after that the portal configuration method ceases to function) you have configured your OBi using the portal, those settings will remain  in your OBi until you deliberately modify them.  Either after logging in locally or by pressing its reset button.

videobruce

I would figure that also, but that's a risky situation since I could see some unknown factor ( not hacking) messing things up.

If there was a detailed step by step guide to configure these, it wouldn't be so bad, but I have found none. I'm referring to using Phone Power as a provider, not CalCentric, VoIP.ms, any other providers guide since those don't seem to apply here.

I tried it myself more than once and couldn't get it to work. I have the 3 items; phone number, Server address and most important, the SIP password. One would think it wouldn't be a problem, but it is.

videobruce

Anyone reading this I would STRONGLY suggest calling Poly/HP, formally PolyCom regarding this EOS next month. Stating concern about the future of your OBiHai VoIP adapter;

Poly/HP;
888-248-4143 choose #3 which is Voice & Video

There is a specific 'team' within that group called; "OBI Support Team"  No I'm not kidding.

I first talked to someone in V & V and explained my concern about these OBi ATA's EOS December 18th date announcement which he was aware of. He states HP will still support these as to "troubleshooting", but no new firmware will be included. He was also aware of the ones that work with Google Voice. I specifically mentioned the OBi201 and the 202 models and the popularity of those.

I also asked if there was something in writing about what he told me regarding support and he said no, but if i gave him the S/N of the product, he would create a support ticket for it. (thou nothing wrong with this unit). At least there is a paper trail.

I then asked about this other group, OBI support team, if I could speak to someone from that group to see if I could get more information about HP's plans (or lack of) for these ATA's.
I was connected to Vishal James (I asked him for his name) and conversed with him to confirm what I was told by the first support person. He told me HP has been discussing what they plan to do about these ATA's and he expects a decision to be made by next month or earlier. He also feels, HP isn't going to leave potential customers high and dry (my words, not his).

In all, I was on the phone over a hour with both which kinda surprised me, getting my hopes up. Vishal did stress about HP receiving additional input from users/owners of these ATA's to make the concern stronger. Google Voice or not.

So I'm asking,
please call them, state your position, you are a owner of one of these and have a concern about the future of your telephone adapter and state how long that you have had it and how important it is to you and others.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease!

videobruce

Ok, how about Obi's site, is that staying up for pay accounts thru VoIP providers??

drgeoff

Quote from: videobruce on December 17, 2023, 02:42:00 PMOk, how about Obi's site, is that staying up for pay accounts thru VoIP providers??
Which part of:

"OBi200, OBi202 and OBi212 devices registered prior to the End of Engineering Support date won't be able to be provisioned via OBiTALK after the December 18, 2023 and can only be managed and provisioned locally (manually)."

in the Notice at https://www.obitalk.com/info/products/obi200 do you not understand?

MSRobi

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 17, 2023, 02:19:32 PMThis is the definitive information on what's happening, updated yesterday, 12/16/2023:

https://support.google.com/voice/community-guide/248839601

I want to turn off auto provisioning just as a precaution (in my OBi202).  The above link has this blurb:

"Optionally, you can use the device's local web server user interface (key in ***1 from the handset to obtain its IP address. The default user ID and password are "admin"), go to System Management-->Auto Provisioning-->Device Update, and change "OBiTalk Provisioning" to "Disabled" and tap "Submit".."

When I go into my local web server, I go to System Management-->Auto Provisioning; but there is no "Device Update" on the page.  I do see a section titled "OBiTalk Provisioning" on the page and the first parameter is "Method".  It has a "Disabled" option in the drop-down list.  Is this the correct parameter to change?

drgeoff

Yes, 'Disabled' option in Obitalk Provisioning.

videobruce

Quote from: drgeoff on December 17, 2023, 03:20:33 PM
Quote from: videobruce on December 17, 2023, 02:42:00 PMOk, how about Obi's site, is that staying up for pay accounts thru VoIP providers??
Which part of:
"OBi200, OBi202 and OBi212 devices registered prior to the End of Engineering Support date won't be able to be provisioned via OBiTALK after the December 18, 2023 and can only be managed and provisioned locally (manually)."
in the Notice at https://www.obitalk.com/info/products/obi200 do you not understand?
1. Isn't "provisioning" the same as "programming" as in it's done once? If it already is 'done' it's 'done' it doesn't have to be changed unless something else changed as in your VoIP provider and/or your phone number. Correct??
2. Below tells me ATA's already up and running will continue to do so;
QuoteBetween now and 12/18/2023, consumer OBi devices that do work now, will continue to work. After 12/18/2023, they may continue to work for some undetermined time, but none of those existing devices will be able to be added, changed, or deleted, since OBiTALK provisioning of Google Voice will be dead. If devices are already configured to use Google Voice, no further interaction with the OBiTALK portal is needed, and Google has no plans at this time to shut down the infrastructure connecting these devices.

videobruce

Quote from: drgeoff on December 17, 2023, 11:01:58 PMYes, 'Disabled' option in Obitalk Provisioning.
I already done that some time back in 3 locations on the System Management/Auto Provisioning page.

SteveInWA

Quote from: videobruce on December 18, 2023, 06:21:52 AM
Quote from: drgeoff on December 17, 2023, 03:20:33 PM
Which part of:
1. Isn't "provisioning" the same as "programming" as in it's done once? If it already is 'done' it's 'done' it doesn't have to be changed unless something else changed as in your VoIP provider and/or your phone number. Correct??
2. Below tells me ATA's already up and running will continue to do so;
QuoteBetween now and 12/18/2023, consumer OBi devices that do work now, will continue to work. After 12/18/2023, they may continue to work for some undetermined time, but none of those existing devices will be able to be added, changed, or deleted, since OBiTALK provisioning of Google Voice will be dead. If devices are already configured to use Google Voice, no further interaction with the OBiTALK portal is needed, and Google has no plans at this time to shut down the infrastructure connecting these devices.

I don't understand the point you are trying to make.  I explained very clearly in the FAQ, what's happening.  Anything other than the topic of using Google Voice on consumer OBiTALK devices isn't relevant to this discussion.  If you want to use some other ITSP, go right ahead; your devices can be configured locally, and if you need help, the ITSPs often have configuration guides for your devices.

videobruce

My question was and is about the terms "provisioning" and "programming" as they relate to Obi's web site and if and when that site closes how or if that would affect already active ATA's other than GV.
I thought that sentence was clear enough.
Am surely not the only one in this situation separate from GV.

drgeoff

Quote from: videobruce on December 19, 2023, 06:52:59 AMMy question was and is about the terms "provisioning" and "programming" as they relate to Obi's web site and if and when that site closes how or if that would affect already active ATA's other than GV.
I thought that sentence was clear enough.
Am surely not the only one in this situation separate from GV.
Are you the only one who does not understand what is clearly written in my posts of 6 and 13 November?

videobruce

If it was clear enough, I wouldn't ask. Why can't my question be answered or is that too much to ask?

VoiperDude

To answer your question directly...from here on everything (whether GV or an ITSP) will need to be configured manually through the ip address of your OBi device and not through OBiTalk.com