other devices on google voice number will not ring if a call comes in on one.

Started by Sylvan, January 18, 2023, 05:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sylvan

We have 3 OBiTalk office phones connect to our Google voice number.  We also have the calls forwarding to a cell phone and a second mobile device (with no cell service) connected with the google voice app.  After a call comes in and is answered on any one of the devices (including either of the cell phones) no other call will get through except to the phone that is currently on the call as a second incoming call.  So here's how that looks:
A call comes in and rings on all of our devices, we answer it on one of the OBiTalk phones and engage with the caller.  While still on that call, a second call comes in.  It will not ring on any other devices except the one currently on the first call.  If we answer the first call on the forwarded cell phone or the cell using the google app, it's still the same result with the second call.  How can we fix this?

I found an article that suggested that I go into the expert mode on the OBiTalk account, however, when I do I am not able to edit anything.  So I can't fix it here.

drgeoff

Quote from: Sylvan on January 18, 2023, 05:49:49 PMI found an article that suggested that I go into the expert mode on the OBiTalk account, however, when I do I am not able to edit anything.  So I can't fix it here.
You need to clear any ticks in the two boxes at the right hand end of any line you wish to edit.  You may need to click in them more than once. When those two boxes are clear, the parameter can be changed.

MSRobi

Quote from: Barbarabay on February 20, 2023, 03:33:09 AMBy default, when call waiting is enabled, the second call should ring on all of your devices, not just the one currently engaged in the first call.

If you are on a call, and a second call comes in, you should hear the "call-waiting beep" on the current call, and then you decide if you ignore it or press the "FLASH" key on your phone to put the first call on hold and answer the second call.  I know that the other handsets in my house do not ring.  I haven't tested having multiple devices attached to the same google voice account, but I suspect that they wouldn't ring either.

olode

Quote from: MSRobi on February 20, 2023, 05:54:02 AMbasketball stars
Quote from: Barbarabay on February 20, 2023, 03:33:09 AMBy default, when call waiting is enabled, the second call should ring on all of your devices, not just the one currently engaged in the first call.
What if my screen doesn't show the second call?

MSRobi

Quote from: olode on March 16, 2023, 02:06:46 AMWhat if my screen doesn't show the second call?

If you are talking about the web interface for Google Voice (voice.google.com), then when you are on the call and you are looking at your screen and another incoming call is happening, you should see a prompt with who is calling and 3 options to either place current call on hold and answer the other call or decling the incoming call and hang up on the incoming call, and I forget what the 3rd option is.  I don't think my phones in the house ring while I'm using the web interface in a current call, but I'm not sure without further testing.

I do know that if somebody else in the house wants to use the physical phone while I'm using the web interface in a call, they get a dial tone and can successfully make an outgoing call (which is a very nice feature, I love it).

SteveInWA

Quote from: Sylvan on January 18, 2023, 05:49:49 PMWe have 3 OBiTalk office phones connect to our Google voice number.  We also have the calls forwarding to a cell phone and a second mobile device (with no cell service) connected with the google voice app.  After a call comes in and is answered on any one of the devices (including either of the cell phones) no other call will get through except to the phone that is currently on the call as a second incoming call.  So here's how that looks:
A call comes in and rings on all of our devices, we answer it on one of the OBiTalk phones and engage with the caller.  While still on that call, a second call comes in.  It will not ring on any other devices except the one currently on the first call.  If we answer the first call on the forwarded cell phone or the cell using the google app, it's still the same result with the second call.  How can we fix this?

I found an article that suggested that I go into the expert mode on the OBiTalk account, however, when I do I am not able to edit anything.  So I can't fix it here.

You are describing how Google Voice works, by design; it doesn't send additional calls to other devices.  Consumer Google Voice isn't intended for business use; it's a single-user system.  The paid, business-class version of Google Voice for Google Workspace customers does have a ring group feature that can support multiple inbound calls to different users.

namdosan1409

A virtual assistant that prompts callers to say your name before connecting is able to screen out robocallers without you being disturbed.
Car Games