News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Add devices

Started by maynor2022, May 15, 2022, 11:16:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drgeoff

Quote from: Taoman on December 23, 2023, 02:36:24 PM
Quote from: drgeoff on December 23, 2023, 02:18:37 PMBut calls on the Obitalk network do require assistance from Obitalk server(s).

Agreed. But if you read the EOL notice for only the restrictions it explicitly mentions the OBiTALK Service may continue to work for the 2xx series. They have already done what the EOL notice said they would do...... at least from my vantage point.

Isn't the OBiTALK service still working for your OBi1xx devices that are EOL including the one in Japan?

1.  No that is not what the notice says.  The relevant part is:

"OBiTALK calling service will continue to be supported for the OBi200, OBi202 and OBi212 until December 18, 2023."

The following sentence says:

"OBi200, OBi202 and OBi212 devices may continue to work after the end of service date, but they will not be able to get added to the Google Voice service after December 18, 2023. OBi200, OBi202 and OBi212 devices registered prior to the End of Engineering Support date won't be able to be provisioned via OBiTALK after the December 18, 2023 and can only be managed and provisioned locally (manually)."

Nothing explicit in either sentence about Obitalk network working for 2xx devices after 18 December 2023.  But nothing explicit that it will not.

2.  The OBi100 in Japan was used by my wife here to talk to her mother there until she passed away 5 years ago and between me here and my wife when she returns to the family home where her brother still lives. However, videophone type apps on smartphones have rendered the OBi100 in Japan redundant.  Yes as I mentioned above the Obitalk network is still working from my OBi110 to OBi200.

drgeoff

Quote from: Taoman on December 23, 2023, 02:20:52 PMI realize the 1032 is EOL but the EOL link/message at the top of OBiTALK portal page only mentions the 2xx series.
Both the 10x2 phones and 2xx ATAs are EOL.  Why did the December 2021 notice only mention the ATAs and why is the portal apparently still supporting the IP phones?

Taoman

Quote from: drgeoff on December 23, 2023, 03:06:52 PM"OBiTALK calling service will continue to be supported for the OBi200, OBi202 and OBi212 until December 18, 2023."

Completely missed that. Thanks for pointing that out.

Taoman

Quote from: drgeoff on December 23, 2023, 03:11:55 PMBoth the 10x2 phones and 2xx ATAs are EOL.  Why did the December 2021 notice only mention the ATAs and why is the portal apparently still supporting the IP phones?

Good question. All I can think of is the 2xx series line is older than the IP phones and they thought there would be too much of a hue and cry if IP phones were also disabled from OBiTALK provisioning. Wild ass guess.

SteveInWA

There was some ambiguity to the announcement about the shutdown, in that they mentioned the ATAs, but not the IP phones.  I assumed it was an oversight (they forgot to include the phone model numbers), but now it seems that they haven't yet shut off configuration for those.

All of my ATAs (200s and 202s) can no longer be configured, whereas my 2182 can.  Go figure.  Perhaps they'll do it later.

The way I look at it; it's simply time to forget about using the portal.

videobruce

Quote from: drgeoff on December 23, 2023, 03:11:55 PMWhy did the December 2021 notice only mention the ATAs and why is the portal apparently still supporting the IP phones?
Maybe because HP is still selling IP Phones?;
https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/mdp/speakerphones-speakers

I count 11 IP phones and 18 Speakerphones.

My question is why did they completely drop ATA's other than apparent greater profit from business phones? (Note that $400 IP phone at the bottom of that page.)
AFA dropping support for the ATA's while maintaining the Web Portal, I would say, why completely piss off the existing VoIP base by leaving them  high and dry??  ;)
I'll take VoIP any day over cell phones !

videobruce

For the heck of it, I did a refined search for "IP adapters" and found this (only under business, nothing under consumer);
https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/sitesearch?keyword=IP%20adapters

Gotta love the $800 IP Conference Phone (note the original price  :o )

Taoman

Quote from: drgeoff on December 23, 2023, 03:11:55 PMBoth the 10x2 phones and 2xx ATAs are EOL.  Why did the December 2021 notice only mention the ATAs and why is the portal apparently still supporting the IP phones?

And why can I still add a 2xx OBi device to the OBiTALK portal and successfully configure Google Voice on SP1?
After that you're stuck with doing everything manually. But it does work [currently].

drgeoff

Quote from: videobruce on December 25, 2023, 05:50:50 AMFor the heck of it, I did a refined search for "IP adapters" and found this (only under business, nothing under consumer);
https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/sitesearch?keyword=IP%20adapters

Gotta love the $800 IP Conference Phone (note the original price  :o )
Did you not find the OBi400 and 402 ATAs?

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/product/setup-user-guides/ata-400-series/2101854843

videobruce

No, because I just searched for products for sale.  :(
Interesting to say the least.

SteveInWA

I don't see the point of debating the EOL and/or EOS announcements.  Those products have long been out of production and no longer sold.  Eventually, HP/Poly will get their shit together and shut down all Google Voice provisioning.

And as for the Poly ATA 400/402; yes, they exist, but Poly doesn't seem to have published any marketing material yet.  This is the only reference to the products that they have published so far:  https://docs.poly.com/bundle/ata-ag-current/page/ata-device-features.html

There is a placeholder for more documents:  https://docs.poly.com/category/poly-adaptors

And yes, you can buy them (or will be able to buy them soon), but again, they are not intended for the consumer DIY user, and they do not/will not support consumer Google Voice.

https://www.ipphone-warehouse.com/poly-ata-400-1-fxs-port-voip-adapter-8f3h4aa-aba-2200-87940-001/

https://www.voipsupply.com/poly-ata-400-1fxs-vp-sip-voip-adapter-us-8f3h4aa-aba

videobruce

Thanks for the above links.  :)

There is also the Poly ATA 402 from VoIP Supply;
https://www.voipsupply.com/voip-adapters/dual-fxs/poly-ata-402-2fxs-vp-sip-voip-adapter-us-8f3h5aa-aba

For the heck of it I responded to the 1st link giving it a Thumbs Up (Poly ATA Administrator Guide). That brought me to a comments pop up which I added a comment and my email address (which was optional).

It was automatically confirmed with this message;
QuoteThank you for your feedback! We review all feedback and will address your concerns as quickly as possible. If you provided your email address, we may contact you for more information.

The Poly Technical Communication Team"

For anyone wondering why am I wasting my time;
I'm NOT,
How is HP going to know if anyone has a interest in this if no one doesn't respond  ???
This isn't a 'Google Voice' thing, it's a VoIP 'thing' as in my telephone and it's reassurance that when and if these Obi 202's go down, I'll have a backup..

videobruce

That last link for VoIP Supply has the 122 pg manual for the ATA 400. (ATA 400 Series Admin Guide);
https://www.voipsupply.com/poly-ata-400-1fxs-vp-sip-voip-adapter-us-8f3h4aa-aba

On the very last page of that manual states this;
QuotePoly is now a part of HP. The joining of Poly and HP will pave the way for us to
create the hybrid work experiences of the future.
During the merge of our two organizations, information about Poly products will
transition from the Poly Support site to the HP® Support site.

The Poly Documentation Library will continue to host the installation, configuration,
and administration guides for Poly products in HTML and PDF format. In addition,
the Poly Documentation Library will provide Poly customers with up-to-date status
information about the transition of Poly content from the Poly Support site to the
HP® Support site.
It was updated Sept. 2023

SteveInWA

Quote from: videobruce on December 27, 2023, 06:02:20 AMThanks for the above links.  :)

There is also the Poly ATA 202 from VoIP Supply;
https://www.voipsupply.com/voip-adapters/dual-fxs/poly-ata-402-2fxs-vp-sip-voip-adapter-us-8f3h5aa-aba

For the heck of it I responded to the 1st link giving it a Thumbs Up (Poly ATA Administrator Guide). That brought me to a comments pop up which I added a comment and my email address (which was optional).

It was automatically confirmed with this message;
QuoteThank you for your feedback! We review all feedback and will address your concerns as quickly as possible. If you provided your email address, we may contact you for more information.

The Poly Technical Communication Team"

For anyone wondering why am I wasting my time;
I'm NOT,
How is HP going to know if anyone has a interest in this if no one doesn't respond  ???
This isn't a 'Google Voice' thing, it's a VoIP 'thing' as in my telephone and it's reassurance that when and if these Obi 202's go down, I'll have a backup..

Yes, you are wasting your time.  It's already been explained ad nauseam that there are no, and will be no VoIP hardware devices, from any manufacturer, that will work with consumer Google Voice.  Period.  And, it's been explained that the only ATAs currently manufactured by HP/Poly are their ATA 400 and 402 models.  Again, those devices will NOT work with consumer Google Voice.

Neither company wants anything whatsoever to do with consumer DIY VoIP products.  The market is dead.  The large majority of residential telephone users get their service as part of a bundle from their legacy telephone company or "cable company".  A small percentage are still solely on copper POTS service. Those bundled service packages have enough revenue to provide some customer support.

Standalone, DIY VoIP was too often attempted by users who didn't have the advanced technical skills to make it work as they wished.  The device is so cheap, and the profit margin so low when diluted through distributors and retailers, that it is a money-loser for the OEMs.  Look what happened to the former Obihai.

You can stamp your feet all you want, but from a business, regulatory and taxation standpoint, neither Google nor HP wants to be in the residential telephone service business.

If you just want VoIP hardware to use with an open-credential SIP ITSP, then there are plenty of IP phones and a few ATAs you will be able to buy, with no expectation of customer technical support, since their intended market is to carriers, system integrators, or wholesale distributors.

MSRobi

Quote from: videobruce on December 27, 2023, 06:02:20 AMHow is HP going to know if anyone has a interest in this if no one doesn't respond  ???

It is a "Google Voice" thing.  Eventually the Obi 202 will stop working with consumer Google Voice.  But the device itself is a simple ATA that will continue to work with VoIP providers (e.g. CallCentric, voip.ms, etc)

videobruce

Neither of my posts made r3eference to GV, just the opposite. AFS the typo, it was corrected.

bill-cary

Quote from: drgeoff on December 23, 2023, 11:44:20 AMMy phone is on the OBi110.  My GV number is configured on the OBi200.  I call on the GV number using the Obitalk network to link the two OBis. That is still working as I type this.
I had the same configuration to implement 2 handsets on my 200, but it stopped working some time ago b4 Dec 18. The 100 and 200 are in my dashboard and show as online. If I take the ph off hook it shows that but it gives me a 404 error if I try to call my 200 or the 222222222 #. The 200 still operates to make/rcv calls and it will call the 222222222 #, but it also gives a 404 if I try to call my other 200 at a different location.  Is this still working for you? If so, can you post a sample of your 110 config.

drgeoff

Quote from: bill-cary on January 03, 2024, 07:25:02 AM
Quote from: drgeoff on December 23, 2023, 11:44:20 AMMy phone is on the OBi110.  My GV number is configured on the OBi200.  I call on the GV number using the Obitalk network to link the two OBis. That is still working as I type this.
I had the same configuration to implement 2 handsets on my 200, but it stopped working some time ago b4 Dec 18. The 100 and 200 are in my dashboard and show as online. If I take the ph off hook it shows that but it gives me a 404 error if I try to call my 200 or the 222222222 #. The 200 still operates to make/rcv calls and it will call the 222222222 #, but it also gives a 404 if I try to call my other 200 at a different location.  Is this still working for you? If so, can you post a sample of your 110 config.

Yes, still working as I type this.

What does the 100's Call History show for the **9 numbers?