News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Newly bought modem for Cox does not have "TEL" ports...What to do? (pics)

Started by Revived, August 03, 2023, 12:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revived

I'm switching from Cox's rented Panoramic Modem/Router (because they will soon begin charging a monthly rental) to Netgear's CM1200 Modem that doesn't have a TEL port like to Panoramic.

We actually have three telephone lines/set in this home. One is through Cox and the other two are through Google Voice using two Obi200's. They were connected into one of the TEL ports on the Panoramic using a triple splitter and it worked fine.

But now I'm at a loss on how to connect them to the new Netgear modem. Can I get some insight?

drgeoff

Please explain the function of the 3-way splitter and what is connected to its 4 ports.

Revived

Not sure what you mean. The three telephone cords going into that splitter are for three separate cordless phone sets and entirely separate phone numbers. One is a phone number from Cox that we pay for. The other two are Google Voice numbers with their own OBI200.

And everything worked fine when that splitter was in the TEL 1 port.

I've not yet returned the Panoramic so I can go back to that if I need but would rather use my new setup with the mesh if possible.

drgeoff

Quote from: Revived on August 04, 2023, 06:44:47 AMNot sure what you mean. The three telephone cords going into that splitter are for three separate cordless phone sets and entirely separate phone numbers. One is a phone number from Cox that we pay for. The other two are Google Voice numbers with their own OBI200.

And everything worked fine when that splitter was in the TEL 1 port.

I've not yet returned the Panoramic so I can go back to that if I need but would rather use my new setup with the mesh if possible.
One of us does not understand what you are doing with the splitter. In my book the splitter should not be used, at best would stop things working properly, at worst would fatally damage the OBi200s and possibly the Cox/Panoramic. 3 separate phones on 3 separate lines should be wired as each of the 3 phones wired directly and only to its "line". That is, one phone plugged into the PHONE socket of one OBi200, another phone plugged into the PHONE socket of the other OBi200 and the third phone plugged into a TEL socket on the Cox.

The only thing that changes when you swap out the Cox is that you lose service on the Cox number. You should power cycle the OBis a few minutes after the new modem/router has fully booted first time.

If you think my understanding is incorrect please explain where I've got it wrong.