News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

configuration change...

Started by ladyh, August 20, 2023, 10:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ladyh

Okay, I'm going to try and be clear on what I would like to do.

I currently have internet w/centurylink DSL (modem router) with my obhai 1022 and OBI200 connected via ethernet. I have a phone number via google voice (which I want to keep) Works great.

Now, if I choose to get rid of centurylink DSL and only have a cell phone that I can use wirelessly....is there a way to connect and keep my setup and phone number via the PC without ethernet internet that is currently connected to the  1022?  I do have the OBI wireless dongle that I'm not using.

My thoughts were perhaps using the obi wireless dongle connected to pc and IF an ethernet cable connected to the 1022 would keep my setup? That would be wireless?

Any suggestions and help would be appreciated. Main goal keep my current phone # and use OBI with 1022/200 conntected to  deskphone or cordless phone w/o inernet.

azrobert

You have 3 devices (PC, OBi1022 and OBi200). You want to connect these devices to the internet thru your cell phone's data plan. Do I understand what you want to do?

Did you try my reply to your other post?

I have a Windows 11 PC. I connected the PC to my Android phone via USB tethering. This gave my PC internet access via my phone's data plan. In Windows I bridged the USB tether and the PC ethernet adapter. Now anything plugged into the PC ethernet port will have internet access.

I plugged my OBi1032 port label "SW" into the PC internet port. This gave the OBi1032 internet access. I plugged an OBi110 into the OBi1032 port label "PC". This gave the OBi110 internet access.

If all your devices have a WiFi, you can setup your phone as a wireless Hotspot. I setup my mother-in-law's phone this way. She has an iPhone with AT&T. I was able connect her caption phone and iPad via WiFi. The Hotspot wouldn't stay active overnight and had to turn it back on in Settings. I don't know if this is an AT&T problem or all service providers.

ladyh

Thank you for replying

Yes what you stated the 3 devices (do have captions phone to 200)

I don't know what other post, sorry.

I have windows 10..I understand tethering usb to pc and have successfully done that when CL internet goes out.

I don't know how to bridge the USB tether and the pc's ethernet adapter...

Can the router still be used i.e. ports ethernet to pc no internet?

SW into PC's internet port?<< what is this?

back of PC has ethernet port?

Yes I also have a captions phone connected to this configuration too  :-)

I have seen devices on amazon that you can plug in cell phone to device and converts to be able to connect everything w/o internet and use wifi cell.  Don't know if they work.

Also, your setup will also allow pc to access webpages/internet like the regular usb tether to pc and phone?

azrobert

The port on the back of the PC that you connect to the router is an RJ45 ethernet port.

Disconnect the PC from the router. Now USB tether the PC to your phone.
Do you have internet access on the PC?

On the PC:
Click the Start Button
Click Settings (Gear Symbol)
Click Network & Internet
Click Change Adapter Options

You will see all your network adapters. The adapter labeled Ethernet 2 (it might be another name) is your tether connection. Your PC Ethernet adapter will not be active and have a red X next to it.

Left click ethernet adapter to highlight it. Hold CTRL and left click the ethernet2 adapter to highlight it. Both should be highlighted. Right click one of the adapters and select Bridge Connections. The ethernet adapter should become active and the red X will disappear.

Using an ethernet cable connect the OBi200 RJ45 port to the PC RJ45 ethernet port.
Is the left light on the OBi200 solid green?

On the back of your OBi1022 how many RJ45 (ethernet) ports are there? Are they labeled?

Most routers can be used as a switch.

Edit:
You won't be able to connect the PC to the router while the bridge is active. Right click one of the adapters and select Remove From Bridge. Now you will be able to connect the PC to the router.

ladyh

okay, thank you for the precise explanation.  I will try that... My ISP has been bought out by another company and a new router was sent, not good...too proprietary.

ladyh

Ethernet Switch Port (Supports PoE)
USB Port
Ethernet Passthrough Port

when tethered usb to pc to phone yes there would be internet

azrobert

Did you get the OBi200 working when connected to your PC?

I found a picture of the back of an OBi1022. It has 2 RJ45 ethernet ports labeled SW and PC.

If the OBi200 is working connected to the PC, do the following:
Disconnect the OBi200 cable from the PC.
Plug that cable into the OBi1022 ethernet port labeled PC
Run another cable from the OBi1022 ethernet port labeled SW to the PC.

Now the OBi1022 and OBi200 should have internet access.

ladyh

The back of the 1022 ports are labeled Ethernet Switch Port (Supports PoE) and
Ethernet Passthrough Port

The 200 and 1022 currently are working, the goal was when switching to cell phone use.

Quote from: azrobert on August 21, 2023, 09:03:50 AMDid you get the OBi200 working when connected to your PC?

I found a picture of the back of an OBi1022. It has 2 RJ45 ethernet ports labeled SW and PC.

If the OBi200 is working connected to the PC, do the following:
Disconnect the OBi200 cable from the PC.
Plug that cable into the OBi1022 ethernet port labeled PC
Run another cable from the OBi1022 ethernet port labeled SW to the PC.

Now the OBi1022 and OBi200 should have internet access.

ladyh

the the pc have to have wireless turned on?  The setup doesn't seem to work, keeps asking for bluetooth