News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi202 specific questions

Started by videobruce, September 05, 2023, 08:37:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

videobruce

My VoIP provider is PhonePower (formally Broadvoice)
Details;
PP is on Port 1. They did a 'user agent cleared' action which corrupted the service on that port. It shows on their portal, but the service shows "Error" and is unusable in or out.
I have GV on Port 2 which is still operational.
PP are offering to auto provision the unit, but that will disable Port 2 which I find at this time unacceptable, essentially turning a 202 into a 200..

1. When these are deleted (removed) from OBi's web portal, does that do anything internally to the device itself as in resetting or deleting anything? (Yes, I understand it doesn't do a factory reset).
2. If I or a friend who is more versed in this were to re-program, with or without doing a reset from another location using a different ISP, will those changes work back at my location?
3. Is there any way to view the password for the SIP credentials that is represented by 8 dots m(even thou it has 12 characters/numbers)?
4. Is there any difference doing a factory reset using a paper clip or via using the phone and entering ***8 then 1 to confirm restore to factory defaults?
5. One of the two 202's has the current Poly F/W, the other doesn't, it still has the OBihai version due to being in storage for years as a backup. Should I see if it will update firmware (the auto F/W is unchecked).
I'll take VoIP any day over cell phones !

drgeoff

1.  No
2.  Yes
3.  No
4.  No
5.  Auto update will not work. You should manually update the firmware using the instructions in the post in another section of the forum.

videobruce

Thanks for the reply.
As to #2, wouldn't the fact the ISP being different and the physical location in a different suburb (I'm in the city) make a difference as far as the routing the calls goes??

As to #5, I read that after a manual update is performed, the unit has to be set to factory default which I have never encountered before having done many F/W updates to various devices. Does that reset really have to be done? The reason being, I'm questing the probability of going thru a fresh setup again due to many factors including myself, especially from the prior indecent that happened that I was a victim of. :(

Any other input welcome. :)

drgeoff

Quote from: videobruce on September 05, 2023, 02:54:18 PMThanks for the reply.
As to #2, wouldn't the fact the ISP being different and the physical location in a different suburb (I'm in the city) make a difference as far as the routing the calls goes??

As to #5, I read that after a manual update is performed, the unit has to be set to factory default which I have never encountered before having done many F/W updates to various devices. Does that reset really have to be done?

Any other input welcome. :)
No, the Internet Service Provider is irrelevant.  The physical location is also irrelevant.

In theory a reset after a firmware update is advisable but usually not essential.  But anyway, if the OBi is being configured via the portal*, the "master copy" of the config is in a database on the portal server and will be downloaded into the OBi again at or shortly after a reboot .

(* Your mention of Google Voice strongly suggests that you are configuring via the portal, not via the 202's onboard web server.)

videobruce

Negative on using the portal, at least for PP. I believe I have never used ObiTalks portal to program the 202.
But for GV, according to the instructions, you have to use their web site to re-set up GV which is kinda confusing.
Frankly, after reading more then one 'how to' it's all very confusing.  ???

drgeoff

Quote from: videobruce on September 06, 2023, 05:24:49 AMNegative on using the portal, at least for PP. I believe I have never used ObiTalks portal to program the 202.
But for GV, according to the instructions, you have to use their web site to re-set up GV which is kinda confusing.
Frankly, after reading more then one 'how to' it's all very confusing.  ???
Using the portal has been the only way to configure for GV for at least a couple of years.

After configuring for GV you cannot configure locally unless you disable Obitalk Provisioning.  Otherwise the changes you make locally will be overridden by the portal.

videobruce

It was for PhonePower I was using the 202's LAN interface to program.  ;)

drgeoff

Quote from: videobruce on September 06, 2023, 07:37:44 AMIt was for PhonePower I was using the 202's LAN interface to program.  ;)
My understanding from your first post on this topic is that PhonePower is not working for you now.  Is that correct?

videobruce

Correct. PP managed to clear the "user agent" data (I believe that is what it is called), whatever and wherever that is stored, disabling the service on Port 1. Port 2 is GV and it is working.

drgeoff

1.  I can easily imagine that a PhonePower person could fix any problem in PhonePower's servers or databases which might have been repsonsible for the failure of your Obi to make calls via PhonePower.  But I cannot easily imagine a PhonePower person having already changed any setting in your OBi202 or in your account on the portal.

2.  What exactly is the current obstacle to making PhonePower work on tour OBi202 by using your dashboard at obitalk.com?

videobruce

I figured it had to be in their end, not mine, hence the "user agent cleared' statement made by them to me via phone calls.

The error messages I get are;
   Register Failed: No Response From Server
(server=79.137.248.81:0; retry in 23s)

I clicked on the "click here for more' and I get;
This device is currently unmanaged by OBiTALK.

I did the echo test, then tried to add the device by "dial **5 7230"
and that hasn't worked.

drgeoff

Did you disable Obitalk Provisioning?  That is purely a question seeking information.  Not a hint or suggestion that you should or should not.

https://whois.domaintools.com/79.137.248.81 says that address is registered to a company in Finland.  Strange!!

videobruce

Auto Firmware Update; disabled  (this 202 has the updated Polycom F/W)
ITSP Provisioning;  disabled
OBiTalk Provisioning; Periodically

The ConfigURL is; https://prov.obitalk.com/obhsnprov/init/initkey

The only info for SIP Credentials she (the PP CSR) gave me to work with is;
SIP User Id: xxxxxxxxxx (my 10 digit phone number)
SIP Password: CC4DE1CD96CA0BE
Proxy: sip.phonepower.com

Which seemed basically useless since my phone number and their Proxy address was already entered in the necessary locations. As to the top secret SIP Password that I can't verify, (who knows what it was), I just deleted the existing 8 dots and pasted the one she provided in with no apparent success.

BTW, I really appreciate you staying with me to help since my searches have only confused me more due to the age of the older procedures and the how-to's from other VoIP providers. :)

videobruce

Not to get OT, but here is a statement PP made in a e-mail regarding locking out the other port which I don't understand the connection between PP and GV;
"The Google voice number cannot be added to the adapter if you use the initial sync instructions."

drgeoff

Quote from: videobruce on September 07, 2023, 01:06:37 AMAuto Firmware Update; disabled  (this 202 has the updated Polycom F/W)

Which seemed basically useless since my phone number and their Proxy address was already entered in the necessary locations. As to the top secret SIP Password that I can't verify, (who knows what it was), I just deleted the existing 8 dots and pasted the one she provided in with no apparent success.

BTW, I really appreciate you staying with me to help since my searches have only confused me more due to the age of the older procedures and the how-to's from other VoIP providers. :)
The only place that you can see Obitalk Provisioning set to Periodically and its Config URL is when you are looking at the onboard web server.  Is the onboard web server also where you are entering the PhonePower settings?

videobruce

Correct, directly thru the LAN, not the website.

drgeoff

Quote from: drgeoff on September 07, 2023, 03:42:32 AM
Quote from: videobruce on September 07, 2023, 01:06:37 AMAuto Firmware Update; disabled  (this 202 has the updated Polycom F/W)

The only place that you can see Obitalk Provisioning set to Periodically and its Config URL is when you are looking at the onboard web server.  Is the onboard web server also where you are entering the PhonePower settings?
Quote from: videobruce on September 07, 2023, 05:03:34 AMCorrect, directly thru the LAN, not the website.
So you didn't take any heed when I previously wrote:

"After configuring for GV you cannot configure locally unless you disable Obitalk Provisioning.  Otherwise the changes you make locally will be overridden by the portal."

videobruce

I haven't touched GV yet, I want to concentrate on my primary VoIP which is PP. PP is one port 1, GV is on Port 2.

I must of missed changing that third entry. The first two were disabled. I will change that now. My bad. :(

videobruce

After spending all this time based on the concern that I might loose one or both services, I decided to take a chance and start from scratch and go thru the registration process all over again (something I only did once, seven or so years ago) with both providers.
It worked, not once, but two more times with my primary provider and twice with GV. The3rd time it returned a weird error message about registration, but that is a another issue.

As a FYI;
My IT friend gave me a 3rd OBi202 to try which he wasn't using. It had old F/W installed, which I tried to setup GV, but failed as posted here.
I tried to flash the current F/W without resetting to factory defaults. That failed. Luckily, they made a provision that put it into recovery mode (something I haven't seen with any other device I updated F/W  since I've never 'bricked' a device before).
Anyway the recovery was successful.

So it is necessary to set these back to default settings before you flash the F/W. ;)

drgeoff

Quote from: videobruce on September 07, 2023, 05:48:00 AMSo it is necessary to set these back to default settings before you flash the F/W. ;)

No it is not necessary to reset to defaults before flashing an update.  In case of improper operation after flashing, a reset may be helpful.  (Going into recovery mode after a failed firmware update does not fall within my definition of "improper operation".)