News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Newbie questions! Thanks

Started by tonyd.org, October 14, 2023, 03:21:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonyd.org

Hi guys I am new to this. I am thinking of dumping my land line. buit I like haveing ahard wierd phone in each room. Can i plug the obi 200 in to my exesting wiring and juse my jacks? I only want one line but multiple extensions. thanks

drgeoff

Quote from: tonyd.org on October 14, 2023, 03:21:13 AMHi guys I am new to this. I am thinking of dumping my land line. buit I like haveing ahard wierd phone in each room. Can i plug the obi 200 in to my exesting wiring and juse my jacks? I only want one line but multiple extensions. thanks
Yes you can do that but:

1. Ensure that the existing wiring is fully and properly physically disconnected from the external line. Terminating service with the current landline service provider is not sufficient.

2. Unless you already have the OBi200 are you aware that none have been manufactured in more than two years and that the product line is being abandoned on 18 December 2023?

tonyd.org

Thanks man,I have ordered an obi212 off amozon and it should get here today. I am a little excited and I did cancel my land line with centurylink yesterday. I had mixed feelings about doing  this as I was one of the last people I know that held on to it. but I am slowly making the move to starlink and I get my voice and internet from them. I did not want to deal with all this at one time. I was absoutely amazed that i was paying over 45 a mounth for the service. hell if my 212 works for 90 days i'm ahead.I'm going to try and port my old number to gogoole but its no grate lose if I can't. it was all most all spam calls. thanks again!

drgeoff

Quote from: tonyd.org on October 19, 2023, 07:07:49 AMThanks man,I have ordered an obi212 off amozon and it should get here today. I am a little excited and I did cancel my land line with centurylink yesterday. I had mixed feelings about doing  this as I was one of the last people I know that held on to it. but I am slowly making the move to starlink and I get my voice and internet from them. I did not want to deal with all this at one time. I was absoutely amazed that i was paying over 45 a mounth for the service. hell if my 212 works for 90 days i'm ahead.I'm going to try and port my old number to gogoole but its no grate lose if I can't. it was all most all spam calls. thanks again!
You should have ported the number as part of leaving Centurylink.  I'm not sure if you can port after service has been terminated.

tonyd.org

They needed the old number for my internet, I'm not losing much. 90% where spam lists. I got a new number off googel voice. Thanks again!