News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Manual configuration of GV

Started by jnmarshall, March 05, 2024, 07:40:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jnmarshall

Now that the portal is gone. How does one manually configure an Obi200/202 for Google Voice? Specifically looking for the SPx Service. I noticed under AuthUserName is some macro like ${DSN}_x and of course password is masked. I tried using my Google username and password, but didn't work.

Also, anything special that needs to be configured under ITSP Profile (A,B,C OR D)?

drgeoff

There is now no way to configure GV on Obi2xx devices.

jnmarshall

Quote from: drgeoff on March 06, 2024, 01:58:07 AMThere is now no way to configure GV on Obi2xx devices.
So how do you use GV as advertised right on the home page?

drgeoff

Quote from: jnmarshall on March 06, 2024, 03:44:08 AM
Quote from: drgeoff on March 06, 2024, 01:58:07 AMThere is now no way to configure GV on Obi2xx devices.
You cannot. The whole Obihai website is running on autopilot.  For example that news item at the top of the page giving advance notice of maintenance:

"News:
On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT"

That was 6 Sept 2022. 18 months ago.

There was 2 years notice of the EOL.  https://www.obitalk.com/info/products/obi200

azrobert

azrobert

jnmarshall

Quote from: drgeoff on March 06, 2024, 06:21:55 AM
You cannot. The whole Obihai website is running on autopilot.  For example that news item at the top of the page giving advance notice of maintenance:

"News:
On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT"

There was 2 years notice of the EOL.  https://www.obitalk.com/info/products/obi200

Yes, I'm familiar with all that. It also says we can continue using the devices by manually configuring it with the built in web interface. That's what I'm trying to decipher is how a macro, like ${DSN}_n translates to my google id. And how the password is passed in the SIP configuration for GV.

jnmarshall

Quote from: azrobert on March 06, 2024, 10:05:12 AMI sent you a private message.
Ouch! 80+ pages. I'll be reading that for the rest of the week. Not sure what a new firmware offers as the unit currently is working with the existing firmware. I'm trying to understand how the setting work in the web interface for I can manually configure changes in the future.

drgeoff

Quote from: jnmarshall on March 06, 2024, 11:55:19 AM
Quote from: drgeoff on March 06, 2024, 06:21:55 AM

"News:

Yes, I'm familiar with all that. It also says we can continue using the devices by manually configuring it with the built in web interface. That's what I'm trying to decipher is how a macro, like ${DSN}_n translates to my google id. And how the password is passed in the SIP configuration for GV.
Configuring manually via the onboard web interface still works exactly the same as it did before 18 December 2023.  No more, no less.  For some years prior to that date configuration for operation with GV was only possible via the portal dashboard. Now that is gone and no alternative has been added.

All other "standard SIP" service providers can be configured using the onboard web server.  GV used a custom authorisation technique which required a token obtained from Google via the portal to be stored on the OBi.  OBis which had that token are still working with GV and will continue to do so until GV makes some change which requires a firmware update (which will never come) or the OBi is reset (which deletes the token). OBis which were not configured for GV at or soon after 18 December 2023 cannot now get a token and cannot be configured for GV.

jnmarshall

Quote from: drgeoff on March 06, 2024, 12:23:10 PM
Quote from: jnmarshall on March 06, 2024, 11:55:19 AMYes, I'm familiar with all that. It also says we can continue using the devices by manually configuring it with the built in web interface. That's what I'm trying to decipher is how a macro, like ${DSN}_n translates to my google id. And how the password is passed in the SIP configuration for GV.
Configuring manually via the onboard web interface still works exactly the same as it did before 18 December 2023.  No more, no less.  For some years prior to that date configuration for operation with GV was only possible via the portal dashboard. Now that is gone and no alternative has been added.

All other "standard SIP" service providers can be configured using the onboard web server.  GV used a custom authorisation technique which required a token obtained from Google via the portal to be stored on the OBi.  OBis which had that token are still working with GV and will continue to do so until GV makes some change which requires a firmware update (which will never come) or the OBi is reset (which deletes the token). OBis which were not configured for GV at or soon after 18 December 2023 cannot now get a token and cannot be configured for GV.
So there was some special sauce that the web portal provided to configure GV that's not supported.

I hope a backup will preserve this token in case the unit is reset.

drgeoff

Quote from: jnmarshall on March 07, 2024, 05:31:28 AM
Quote from: jnmarshall on March 06, 2024, 11:55:19 AMYes, I'm familiar with all that. It also says we can continue using the devices by manually configuring it with the built in web interface. That's what I'm trying to decipher is how a macro, like ${DSN}_n translates to my google id. And how the password is passed in the SIP configuration for GV.

So there was some special sauce that the web portal provided to configure GV that's not supported.

Quote from: jnmarshall on March 07, 2024, 05:31:28 AM

I reckon the odds are that a backup does not contain it. Backups do not contain passwords.

jnmarshall

Quote from: drgeoff on March 07, 2024, 07:26:43 AM
Quote from: jnmarshall on March 07, 2024, 05:31:28 AMSo there was some special sauce that the web portal provided to configure GV that's not supported.

I reckon the odds are that a backup does not contain it. Backups do not contain passwords.

And if you are required the change your password with google, it's no longer any good either :'(

drgeoff

Quote from: jnmarshall on March 07, 2024, 11:09:45 AM
Quote from: jnmarshall on March 07, 2024, 05:31:28 AMSo there was some special sauce that the web portal provided to configure GV that's not supported.

And if you are required the change your password with google, it's no longer any good either :'(
That might not be true.  I don't see why the GV token would change if the password to your Google account is changed.

Only one method to confirm one way or the other.  Who is going to do the experiment?  Not me!

jnmarshall

Quote from: drgeoff on March 07, 2024, 01:36:19 PM

That might not be true.  I don't see why the GV token would change if the password to your Google account is changed.

Only one method to confirm one way or the other.  Who is going to do the experiment?  Not me!
I already did. That's what prompted this post. I have auto provisioning disabled. Noticed the connection was failing after the password change. Updated SIP Credentials AuthPassword and still failing. I suspect, like the AuthUserName, the password is something other then the real password.

drgeoff

Quote from: jnmarshall on March 07, 2024, 02:58:53 PM

I already did. That's what prompted this post. I have auto provisioning disabled. Noticed the connection was failing after the password change. Updated SIP Credentials AuthPassword and still failing. I suspect, like the AuthUserName, the password is something other then the real password.
It has been no secret that the GV token that GV has required for years has never been enterable or editable using the SIP Credentials AuthPassword field in the onboard configuration page.

jnmarshall

Quote from: drgeoff on March 07, 2024, 03:14:15 PM
Quote from: jnmarshall on March 07, 2024, 02:58:53 PM

It has been no secret that the GV token that GV has required for years has never been enterable or editable using the SIP Credentials AuthPassword field in the onboard configuration page.
Using another obi202 with an account I still have a password for, I can confirm the following.
- The web portal still functions and you can configure GV all day long with it.
- Changing your Google password expires the token. On the portal it'll go from Connected to Not registered. When you click the SP to configure, at the bottom of the config, there's an option to update Google Credentials and highlighted in yellow is a message the token has expired click here to update credentials. Put in new password and all works again!
- Setting your password back to the old one does NOT recover the old token. The device still says not registered with an expired token.
- You can configure multiple Obi devices to the same Google account and number.

So for my other obi202 that I was trying to manually configure, guess it's just a door stop now. Since I can't get Obi/Poly/HP to reset my password I can't get a new token to revive it.