News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Used OBI200 for GV

Started by krassyg, May 11, 2024, 05:04:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

krassyg

If I get a used OBI200 that was previously activated with somebody else's GV will I be able to transfer it to my GV?

drgeoff

Quote from: krassyg on May 11, 2024, 05:04:19 AMIf I get a used OBI200 that was previously activated with somebody else's GV will I be able to transfer it to my GV?
No.

jnmarshall

Quote from: krassyg on May 11, 2024, 05:04:19 AMIf I get a used OBI200 that was previously activated with somebody else's GV will I be able to transfer it to my GV?
Yes you can and it's surprisingly simple too. I just did this a month ago to recover service. Here are the steps.
Plug in the device and make sure it's connected to the network.
Plug a phone into it. This is the key.
Using the phone interface, simple navigate to do a factory reset. I think it's like ***8, but just follow the prompts. This effectively performs a factory reset and clears any account association.
After the reset, if you desire to enable local device configuration, using the phone enter the follow, this I remember because I wrote it down.
30#
Press 1 to enter a new value
Press 1# to enable web interface
Press 1 to save
Now Hangup and you are good to go.
Login to your obitalk account and add new device.
I had to do this because I forgot my obitalk password and the password reset feature of the portal is broken. I moved all my ob20x devices to a new account and performed the above steps and it worked on all of them.

drgeoff

Quote from: jnmarshall on May 28, 2024, 08:16:05 PM
Yes you can and it's surprisingly simple too. I just did this a month ago to recover service. Here are the steps.
Using the phone interface, simple navigate to do a factory reset. I think it's like ***8, but just follow the prompts. This effectively performs a factory reset and clears any account association.
After the reset, if you desire to enable local device configuration, using the phone enter the follow, this I remember because I wrote it down.
30#
Press 1 to save
I had to do this because I forgot my obitalk password and the password reset feature of the portal is broken. I moved all my ob20x devices to a new account and performed the above steps and it worked on all of them.
Several things there that I would take issue with:

1.  It is a fact that an Obi200 (which the OP asked about) has only one ethernet port and access to the onboard configuration web server is always available.  The ***0 and 30 process is not needed and does nothing.

2.  There are three ways to reset an OBi ATA to factory defaults but none of them remove that ATA from the dashboard it is registered to.  The only way an end-user can deregister an OBi is by using the 'Delete Device' button on that dashboard.  Given that jnmarshall was unable to login to his portal it is a mystery how all the OBis could have been deregistered which is a prerequisite to adding them to a different account as per #3 below.

3.  It is a well established fact that an OBi cannot be registered to more than one dashboard at a time.  There are many posts in the forum from people who have obtained OBi ATAs that the previous owner did not deregister.

4.  The OP specifically asked about using Google Voice. While it is still possible to configure "standard SIP ITSP" accounts using the onboard configuration web server, the official stance is that is not possible for GV. Furthermore the official notice (bold text section of https://www.obitalk.com/info/products/obi200) contains "OBi200, OBi202 and OBi212 devices ....... but they will not be able to get added to the Google Voice service after December 18, 2023."

sidewinder

Quote from: jnmarshall on May 28, 2024, 08:16:05 PM
30#
Press 1 to save

Interesting ....about using the factory  reset  !    I  had a  situation last month  that  my Obi 202  lost  configuration on the Obi Talk Dashboard  after I  did a  firmware  update . It was  gone  on the dashboard...I was unable  to add .After  doing a  factory  reset, using  ***8  , I was now able  add my obi202  to my  original  ObiTalk dashboard account and   configure it  for GV.   So, the  factory reset  ***8  worked  for me !