News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Getting set up for Canada

Started by Hortoristic, December 25, 2011, 07:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hortoristic

So I have 2 devices in USA configured with GV and voip.ms for international calls - and setting up a 3rd device at grandmas in UK so we can get free endpoint calling.

Wanted to set my daughter up in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.  Looks like I could set up GV on SP1 and she would have free calling in USA and Canada - by having a USA GV # since they don't have then in Canada yet.  The downside I foresee is when people in Canada call her USA GV # to ring her home in Winnipeg - it could be long distance for them.  Since GV won't allow caller ID display change - it appears GV might not be a great option. 

I think I'm seeing I can get a DID in Winnipeg from voip.ms for $5.95 a month for unlimited incoming and .005 min rate for outgoing.  So if my math is right even for an extreme amount of calling of 1,000 minutes - that's $5 for outgoing calls within Canada, $5.95 for the DID and another $1.50 for E911 - so a total of about $12.45.

Is my math right and my options about right? 

Stewart

Your math looks fine.

For a cheaper option, you might take a look at http://www.freephoneline.ca/ .  After purchasing SIP access at $50, it's free.  Disadvantages: If they went out of business, you'd lose the $50 (though they have been around for quite a while).  Support is not as good as VoIP.ms.  Much smaller feature set.  Only calls within local area and to major Canadian cities are free.  She could of course use GV to call other places in Canada, but she would have to tell her contact to use the FPL number if they call back; otherwise they'd pay for a call to the US.

Edit:  Oops, my post may be useless -- it appears that FPL is not offering Winnepeg numbers; they only appear to serve ON/QC/AB/BC.  She could still get a number in one of those places, but her local contacts would be calling a distant Canadian city.  She could add an unlimited incoming Winnepeg number from Localphone for $3/mo., but I don't know whether you can have GV+FPL+LP on one OBi, which would require FPL to accept unregistered calls.  GV+VMS+LP would work, if using VMS just for outgoing, or forwarding a DID via iNum.

Hortoristic

VoIP.ms sent me this on this topic:

We have DID available for Winnipeg, incoming and outgoing calls are charged separately, we offer you the following options:

For incoming calls we have a monthly flat rate plan of $5.95 per month, Setup Fee: $1.00, up to 3500 minutes per month. We also have a Per Minute Plan (incoming) of $1.99 per month / $0.0149 per minute / Billing Increment: 6 seconds / Setup Fee: $0.50.

The outgoing calls are charged per minute, we do not have an flat rate for outgoing. We offer 2 rates for Winnipeg:
* Value Route
To Canada at $0.0052 (1/2¢) per minute.
To US at $0.0105 (1.05¢) per minute.
Toll-free numbers: FREE.
* Premium Route
To Canada/US at $0.0125 (1.25¢) per minute.
Toll-free numbers: $0.0106 (1.06¢) per minute
For International rates you can provide the customer with the next link: http://voip.ms/rates.php

Use of e911 Service costs a recovery setup fee of $ 1.50 on activation and a regulatory recovery fee of $ 1.50 per DID number activated per month.

MB..

Is the intention for your sister to replace her existing phone line?

If not, then you don't need a DID to make outgoing calls and voip.ms allows you to configure your outgoing caller id so your sister could make calls with the calller id set to her incoming POTS number. 

Incidentally the caller id with voip.ms is only guaranteed for premium routing (that's the $0.0105/min rate) - although I gather it mostly works with the value routing.

Hortoristic

My daughter actually - I was thinking of setting it up for her to replace and save $

MB..

Quote from: Hortoristic on December 27, 2011, 11:23:27 AM
My daughter actually - I was thinking of setting it up for her to replace and save $

Presumably your daughter has cable internet.

Otherwise don't forget to cost in any extra fees for dry-DSL.