News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Ported number not working on some carriers

Started by Hortoristic, December 26, 2011, 12:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hortoristic

This isn't an Obi issue - but hoping maybe you folks may have encountered this and had a resolution...

I ported from Vonage -> AT&T GoPhone -> Google Voice

It seems to have partially taken - depending how which carrier you try to call my # from.

Some carriers such as Verizon when calling my ported # are getting "number not in service".  Other carriers like landline from work, my AT&T cell when I call my GV # (that used to be Vonage a couple weeks ago) 360.xxx.xxxx it works as expected and rings my house.

My number has been ported twice in one week - does it take a few days for all the carriers to catch up on where my number lives?

And I don't know where the problem lies - I don't think it would be Vonage but must be either AT&T where the number lived for a couple days or is it Google Voice problem?

I'm getting really nervous now - this is a home business number as well and when I google the problem I see that some people have been dealing with it for months with no resolution!

Stewart

You need to get a customer of Verizon to call repair (611) and report that they cannot reach your number and are hearing a "not in service" message.  They should not say anything about porting or VoIP. or anything technical at all.  Instead, they should say "I know that this number is working, because I can call it from my at&t mobile with no trouble."  This usually gets the problem fixed within one day.

For purposes of the above, Verizon landline and Verizon Wireless may be different.  If both are unable to reach your ported number and you are in a hurry, have a user from each report the trouble.

Hortoristic

Although I have trouble tickets in with CenturyLink - why does the process fail on some carriers?  Although by law they have to allow LNP - maybe the law doesn't say they have to do it well? 

Since the final destination of the port was GV - did GV not do something right?  And if so not being able to contact them in any way except through forums or submitting a ticket that gets ignored is pretty frustrating.  I would be willing to pay to have this issues resolved.

Hortoristic

CenturyLink called me back - asked me to test it - I had our friends who are using CenturyLink call my ported number and it now rings.

I rasied the concern how would I ever know other phone carriers across america might getting out of service - and the gal offered to keep the ticket open and test it from a whole bunch of locations in USA and Canada.

It was a total act of congress to get them to even understand the problem - they were telling me "well maybe your friends are blocking calling you or your phone is blocking them..." - real headache but finally my successful port from Vonage -> AT&T go phone -> GV is complete.

Other layer of total frustration was Google's lack of help - I submitted tickets and forum discussions and to date nobody other than users have replied.  I would have paid $20 to someone at Google to resolve my issue.  My ported number is what my wife uses for her home business and it not ringing on some carriers was a deal breaker.