News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Reuse PTSN line as 2nd line off Obi110

Started by Hortoristic, December 27, 2011, 10:13:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hortoristic

Any way to reuse PTSN phone jack as a second line so I could make outgoing calks on SP2 while someone else is already on different call on SP1? Essentially Obi has two different providers - they should be independent of each other but Obi hardware might be the limitation.

RonR

If you have an ATA, a hardware VoIP phone, a softphone on your PC, or a smart cell phone, you can make additional outgoing calls through the OBi from those sources.  I use a PAP2 to connect an additional telephone to the OBi which is independent of the one connected to the PHONE Port.

Hortoristic

So this gives two physical phones separate calling?

Geesh - just getting a handle on Obi - now I got to figure out PAP2!  It's all good!  Any other high level benefits by having PAP2?

RonR

If you get a second incoming call, it will ring the additional phone as well as give a call-waiting indication to the other.

Hortoristic

Oh - so a two line expandable phone would be the bomb for this. Any PAP2 device you recommend? Or maybe just as cost effective to have two Obi devices.

RonR

PAP2 is the model number of an older Linksys Analog Telephone Adapter (ATA).

If you don't have an ATA or hardware VoIP phone laying around, it probably makes more sense to buy an additional OBi.

If you don't need a physical telephone for additional calling capability, you could use a softphone like X-Lite along with OBiAPP for PC on your PC.

Hortoristic

I have a couple Vonage adapters. One old school router and other is newer adapter. Are they hardwired only for Vonage though? $45 for Obi prob easier than trying to introduce dif hardware.

RonR

My PAP2's were intended for Vonage use.  They are often locked (the Admin password is known only to Vonage) and Vonage won't unlock them for you.  If yours are (or can be) unlocked, they're probably usable.  You might visit DSL/Broadband Reports for unlocking possibilities/instructions.

Using another OBi would allow much easier configuration plus the ability to have two more providers, all accessible from either unit.

Hortoristic

And it sounds like with the RollOver options and such I could have a 2nd and 3rd GV # and 1 of the 4 to maintain my international calling that I'm using voip.ms for.

Sounds all good until I have to pay for more lines (when GV changes) - with voip.ms anyhow each DID is $4 a month I think.