News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Use of obi110 device

Started by mike_forum, December 29, 2011, 08:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_forum

Hello,

Can you please tell me if it is okay to turn off the obi110 talk device.  For example, can you leave device on for four days, and turn off for two, then turn back on.

Thanks.

Rick

Why would you want to do that?  It pulls 12 watts.  Very low power usage.

Yes, you can turn it off.  The settings are saved in the device.

mike_forum

Hello,

Thanks for the information.  You mean just 12 watts of use per hour.
so that is about 5 -8 cents of electricity per day.

Thanks.

RonR

Quote from: mike_forum on December 29, 2011, 02:06:20 PM
You mean just 12 watts of use per hour.
so that is about 5 -8 cents of electricity per day.

Including all the taxes and other annoying fees, I paid 0.0922801 per kwh on my last bill.

12 watts is .288 kwh per day, so the cost is more like 2.66 cents a day.

mike_forum

Thanks,

I believe my tier for electricity is 15 cents per kwh.

Hortoristic

that seems pretty high - is that some California city day rate?

I think I've met my match - I live near Seattle and I watch elec closely, but to be worried about the Obi device seems a bit extreme - do you also just use wind up alarm clocks to avoid the elec draw there too?

mike_forum

Yes,
That is for tier 2 rate for over 4 million customers in Southern California.  Tier 1 is approximately 13 cents.

dudlee

I am quite knowledgeable in many areas, but I admit to total lack of knowledge about the Obi and all it's functions.  Thanks to the many posters on this forum, I now have my Obi set up with:

1.  GV on SP1
2.  911 with Callcentric on SP2 for $1.50/month
3.  IPKALL for free inbound calls on SP2 through Callcentric

It is quite refreshing to read a forum that people only want to help on and not snipe at each other.
Special thanks go out to RonR and Stewart for all the good info they tirelessly post here.  By reading the help here, I have set up both my kids who are at college with Obi's, and a friend who started a home business and must watch every penny. 

bheiser

Yeah ... expanding on what mike_forum said, the rates in CA are tiered.  Here in SF the rate ranges from 13 cents to 35 cents per kwh depending on your overall usage.  This also varies seasonally (and, I think, due to other mysterious factors).  The rates are calculated based on your usage within each tier that you reach.

So in reality, adding a device like the OBi can make a measurable difference in one's monthly bill, as you'd need to figure it at the rate of the highest tier you reach.