News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Want inbound calls answered by machine, not Google voice, is this possible?

Started by officemgr, January 01, 2012, 11:27:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

officemgr

I don't know when this changed (maybe after recent firmware upgrade?) but I found out that any call I don't pick up within two rings is not being answered by my phone/answering machine connected to my Obi100, but instead forwarded to my Google Voice account. It used to be that my calls were answered by my answering machine attached to my Obi100, but no longer. I searched through the forum but couldn't find an exact answer. Is there a way to fix this issue so I can have my answering machine pickup unanswered calls?

I checked all my settings in Google Voice and everything is fine/correct, except for the forwarding straight to Google Voice, in which I cannot find a setting to change it.

RonR

Google Voice voicemail answers after 25 seconds (not some number of rings).  This is set by Google and cannot be changed.

officemgr

Quote from: RonR on January 01, 2012, 11:30:45 AM
Google Voice voicemail answers after 25 seconds (not some number of rings).  This is set by Google and cannot be changed.

Well, when I stood there and listened, it seemed like it was two rings before Google Voice picked up the call, but it's good to know it's actually 25 seconds.

So there's no workaround to get my answering machine to pick up the calls instead?

RonR

Someone/Something has to answer in less than 25 seconds, or else Google Voice voicemail will take the call.

You might try a different ring pattern:

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_DefaultRing : (1 - 10)

to see if one of the alternatives gives you a better chance to answer and lets your answering pick up in just under 25 seconds.

officemgr

Quote from: RonR on January 01, 2012, 11:51:03 AM
Someone/Something has to answer in less than 25 seconds, or else Google Voice voicemail will take the call.

You might try a different ring pattern:

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_DefaultRing : (1 - 10)

to see if one of the alternatives gives you a better chance to answer and let your answering pick up in just under 25 seconds.

Thanks! I'm going to go change it now and see if this allows my answering machine a chance to pick up instead. I'll report back either way, successful or not.  ;D

officemgr

Well, changing the ring on the voice service on sp1 (Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_DefaultRing : (1 - 10)) didn't change things, but I found by changing around the number of rings on my answering machine so it's under the 25 seconds (two rings setting) did work.
Thanks Ron.
:)

Everton

Quote from: officemgr on January 01, 2012, 12:10:36 PM
Well, changing the ring on the voice service on sp1 (Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_DefaultRing : (1 - 10)) didn't change things, but I found by changing around the number of rings on my answering machine so it's under the 25 seconds (two rings setting) did work.
Thanks Ron.
:)

On all the machines that I have used with OBi/GV, setting the number of rings to 4 was able to intercept the incoming calls before the GV Voicemail kicks in.  Each ring is equivalent to ~ 5 sec.