News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

sub-accounts on voip.ms

Started by Hortoristic, January 05, 2012, 09:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hortoristic

On voip.ms - they have this feature about "sub-accounts" - although I've googled it and Wiki it - I'm a bit unclear what having a sub-account might do for me?

RFord

You can setup multiple sub-accounts, each with its own extension (101, 102, 103,104....) and have multiple registration to the same account.  You can also call between sub-accounts by simply dialing the extension number.  There are other neat tricks you can do with sub-accounts but they escape me at the moment.  So, you can have one sub-account register from your office ATA (101), another from your home (102), another from your mom's house (103) and another in another Country (104).  If you want to call your mom from your office ATA, you simply dial 103.  These calls are free!

Edit:  You can also setup ring groups with a group of sub-accounts (eg., 101, 102,103) and I think, a form of failover, in the event one of the sub-account is not reachable, etc.

Hortoristic

Does each sub account need an ATA?  You said calling between extensions is free - within calling plan or what?  What if Grandma in UK is an extension but my ATA is here in USA - are you saying I can call Grandma for free?

Hortoristic

I found this from voip.ms site - so it sounds like a 2nd and 3rd ATA would be extension #1 and #2 - so not clear why this is useful since calling endpoint to endpoint is a free feature of Obi device anyhow.

From Voip.ms:

Having a Sub Account allows you to register more than one device to make or receive calls simultaneously, you can also use it as internal extensions for your office or even your house. Many of the features within voip.ms make use of the sub accounts.

You will be able to check our wiki article about the sub accounts: http://wiki.voip.ms/article/Sub_Accounts

Thank you for contacting us.

RFord

You can setup your system with all sub-accounts, leaving the "main" account unregistered.  BTW, not everyone has an OBi  :) .  Also, see the edited comments in my first post about ring group and failover.  You can use softphone as oppose to a physical ATA to register a sub-account.  You can also register a sub-accounts to different servers, etc.

Calling between sub-accounts and between other VOIP.ms account holders are free calls!

Hortoristic

But GMA in UK not having a device wouldn't benefit from this, right?  And if she did have a device - endpoint to endpoint would be easiest?  Or am I misunderstanding something?

bheiser

Quote from: Hortoristic on January 05, 2012, 11:25:55 AM
But GMA in UK not having a device wouldn't benefit from this, right?  And if she did have a device - endpoint to endpoint would be easiest?  Or am I misunderstanding something?

My understanding is that if Grandma is in the UK (or anywhere) with an IP Phone registered using one of your sub accounts, and you call Grandma's subaccount extension from your IPphone, then that call is free.  I don't either your, or Grandma's, location matters, as long as you are both using IP phones registered on your VOIP.ms account.