News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Call Waiting interrupts call in progress

Started by bheiser, January 06, 2012, 05:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bheiser

I have noticed what seems like an issue (to me) with Call Waiting.  My configuration has the OBi110 set up with a GV account, a VoIP.ms account, and a land line.  Today I was on a call which I originated out through the land line, and I received another call in on the land line.  Instead of the "standard" non-intrusive CW tone, there was a tone, a click, and an actual interruption to the call in progress - so, for example, the other party was talking, and I missed a couple words during the interruption.  The call didn't get hung up, just interrupted briefly.

Aside from just disabling call waiting, is there a workaround for this symptom?

Thanks in advance!

Stewart

Your call gets purposely interrupted, while the OBi does a fairly complex negotiation to get the caller ID of the new caller.  If your phone does not have the ability to display it, or if you don't care to see it, turn off CallWaitingCallerIDEnable for the PHONE port.

bheiser

Thanks for this feedback.  I'm a little unclear as to why I would want my current caller interrupted, though I certainly would like to see the caller ID of the new caller.  My phone does have the capability to display this.  I would hope for a tone, but not a cut-out of the current conversation.

Why would OBi intentionally cut out the voice of the current talker, rather than just playing a tone?  I guess I'm thinking along the lines of traditional telephone, where a caller ID tone is audible, but doesn't block out, or cause a complete interruption of, the current caller's voice.

Thanks again!