News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Use OBi110 with GV for dialup internet

Started by FutureDoc, January 06, 2012, 06:28:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FutureDoc

Hi all,

I am trying to figure out how I can use my OBi110 with GV connect to dialup internet. Ideally I would be able to plug in my powerbook's modem and dial in to fastfreedialup.com's internet. I have tried doing this a number of ways, but they all end up not working. Is this even possible, if so how?

Thanks,

Nick

Note: I am doing this simply for fun to see if it is possible to get this working, don't post reply's asking why I want to do this.

Ostracus

Kind of like fax, running a dial-up modem over Voip is an iffy proposition and in the case of dial-up not terribly practical.

FutureDoc

This is true, I have been able to send/receive faxes but it is very unreliable and only works from time to time. You are right, dialup is not a practical way to connect to the internet, but I figured try it out and see if it would work, mostly just for kicks 

Ostracus

Well what I was driving at with the dial-up and not practical is that you'd have to lower your speed to get any semblance of a chance. Kind of like the early days of the internet.