News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How can one read voicemail on voice.google.com and simulatneously on phone?

Started by maskedmuffin, January 11, 2012, 04:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maskedmuffin

Hi there:

i have obi110 and an att el52100 dect 6.0 cordless telephone with inherent answering system built in.

I  have been setting it up today; My google voice works well, but there is one issue:

1)

when the voicemail is turned off in my el52100, any google voice is saved/transcribed on google's server at voice.google.com so i can login and see (say i am away from my home).

however

when the voicemail is turned on in my el52100, the voicemail is recorded on my el52100 and no copy of it is saved/transcribed on google's server at voice.google.com

This presents an issue, since it appears i cannot have a local copy of my voicemail on my home phone while maintaining a copy of my voicemail on the voice.google.com cloud server;

Is there a workaround this, or perhaps i am misunderstanding certain settings?

Also, i have a cellphone assigned to mine google voice as a secondary device, and i notice after i take an incoming call on my el52100 via google voice , shortly after the call completes the cellphone buzzes with "missed call" from the sender. Why is this, and how can i disable?

-thanks!

RonR

Since you have Google Voice calling your cell phone in additon to the OBi, both are going to ring.  The first one to answer gets the call.  The other will see it as a missed call because it appears the caller hung up before you answered.

Google Voice voicemail picks up unanswered calls after 25 seconds and stops ringing the OBi.  If calls are answered by your answering machine, then Google Voice voicemail won't take the call.  They're totally separate.

maskedmuffin

Thank you Ron for the assistance on the cell phone issue.

Regarding voicemail and the 25 second delay, adjusting the el52100 voice answering service to draw out to 25 seconds wont make an iota of difference in recording both in google voice mail and el52100 voicemail, right?

Would i be correct in stating that there is no feasible way of letting the voice go to google voicemail and concurrently recording what is being stated by caller on the el52100's native voicemail (or any phone for that matter)?

RonR

Quote from: maskedmuffin on January 12, 2012, 09:19:22 AM
Regarding voicemail and the 25 second delay, adjusting the el52100 voice answering service to draw out to 25 seconds wont make an iota of difference in recording both in google voice mail and el52100 voicemail, right?

Would i be correct in stating that there is no feasible way of letting the voice go to google voicemail and concurrently recording what is being stated by caller on the el52100's native voicemail (or any phone for that matter)?

Tha's correct.  If Google Voice voicemail takes the message, it will be the only one.  If your el52100 takes the message, it will be the only one.

maskedmuffin

Thank you Ronr!

Looks like for now i will hve to leave voicemail on when in the house, and when on the go turn it off so i can access the cloud to respond to messages.

maskedmuffin

One more follow up; i notice that in google chat plugin my status is shown as away/idle to folks. I am trying to stay "invisible" on google talk, but it is not allowing me to.

Is this because of the obi, and is there a way around it, without losing Obi?

RonR

Quote from: maskedmuffin on January 12, 2012, 10:04:25 AM
Looks like for now i will hve to leave voicemail on when in the house, and when on the go turn it off so i can access the cloud to respond to messages.

I'm not familiar with the el52100, but many answering systems have the ability to call into them and remotely retrieve any messages that have been left.

RonR

Quote from: maskedmuffin on January 12, 2012, 10:12:45 AM
One more follow up; i notice that in google chat plugin my status is shown as away/idle to folks. I am trying to stay "invisible" on google talk, but it is not allowing me to.

Is this because of the obi, and is there a way around it, without losing Obi?

Hopefully, someone else can answer this one as I don't use Google Chat/Talk features.  I use Google Voice strictly as a VoIP type provider.

maskedmuffin

gotcha; appreciate all your assistance in this matter.

I will lock this topic and consider it "closed" , and post the query in a new question so as to not muddle things up.